Tweaking White IPA kit hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, have a White IPA PM kit I'll be brewing tomorrow night. I have some extra hops ad was wondering if any tweaking is possible for a good IPA bite to it. I don't design recipe's or have beersmith (newer still). Grain bill:
1 lb Flaked Wheat
1.25 lb Belgian Pilsen Malt
1 lb White Wheat
3 lb Extra Pale LME
3 lb Wheat LME
1 oz Columbus 60min
0.5 oz Galena 15min
0.5 oz Galena 10min (with 0.5 oz coriander & 0.5 oz orange peel)
0.5 oz Centennial 5min
0.5 oz Cascade 5min

This leaves me with 0.5 oz of the Centennial and Cascade left over. I also have 1 oz of Milennium and 1.5 oz of Citra laying around. I don't think citra would pair well. Not sure about Milennium, only used for bittering in past. But I would definitely like to use the left over centennial and cascade somewhere in this. Also, I have never used Galena and it looks as if it was supposed to be Cluster but they wrote over it in ink so guess they substituted with Galena b/c they were out.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

I would drop the Galena altogether, and sub in your cascade and centennial hops in its place. or
move galena to bittering and switch with the columbus.
and possibly dry hop with citra.
others will chime in. good luck!

Galena is about 13% AA vs Columbus being 16%...would this decrease the bitterness much? I know I love Centennial, and Cascade, and Columbus is in the "C" family so I am definitely with you on the substitution for the flavor additions...what about the Melinnium taking place of Columbus for bittering, Columbus and centennial taking place of Galena and nix the Galena all together?

So here's what I'm thinking, Milennium is listed as a substitute for Columbus. If I use the Milennium for bittering, would adding 0.5 Columbus with 0.5 centennial to 15min, and 0.5 Columbus with 0.5 cascade at 10min be too much (keeping with the 5min addition as listed)?? Or would I be better off dry hopping with the oz of Columbus. Also, I think I will be changing the 15 min addition to more of either a 25 min or 20 min addition to get a little more bitterness from it.
Thoughts?

I would drop the Galena altogether, and sub in your cascade and centennial hops in its place. or
move galena to bittering and switch with the columbus.
and possibly dry hop with citra.
others will chime in. good luck!

As sole responder, figured I'd update you. Ended up going with 1 oz Millennium 60min, 0.5 each of columbus and cascade 20 min, 0.5 oz each Columbus and centennial 10min, then 0.5oz each cascade & centennial 5min. We'll see how she turns out!

Back