Tweaking partial extract recipe ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
Here's what I have for tomorrows brew:
1 - 3.3lb can of Muntons malt extract hopped amber.
¾ lb. of belgian aromatic crushed grains
1 lbs. of (steel cut) oat meal
2 lbs. of LME.
2 lbs. of corn sugar.
2 oz. of columbus pelet hops
1 packet of Safale us-05 yeast.

The plan is to mini mash the Aromatic and 8oz of the oat meal
for 45 min to 1hr @ 154f ,then add the extract and dme an sugar
while turning up the heat to a boil for 20 min, add 1 oz of hops at
20 min and 1 oz at fo, then chill and tranfer to a carboy and top off with
chilled bottled water then pitch.

This is my frist extract (15 AG batches) and first time making up
a recipe – so does this look ok ?

Any help is more than welcome - thanks

Not sure what you are trying to brew, but some comments:

1) Too much sugar. Drop it to a pound at most and replace with extract, or a pound of 2-row.

2) If you have done AG, you should realize it is easier to maintain temperature with a larger mash, than a small one. You might want to add a pound or 2 of 2-row to get a decent grain amount to make it easier to maintain mash temp.

3) Steel cut oats need to be cooked first to gelatinize them. I've only used rolled, which don't need this process, so I can't tell you what you need to do. I'm sure you can easily search for it.

Not sure what you are trying to brew, but some comments:

1) Too much sugar. Drop it to a pound at most and replace with extract, or a pound of 2-row.

2) If you have done AG, you should realize it is easier to maintain temperature with a larger mash, than a small one. You might want to add a pound or 2 of 2-row to get a decent grain amount to make it easier to maintain mash temp.

3) Steel cut oats need to be cooked first to gelatinize them. I've only used rolled, which don't need this process, so I can't tell you what you need to do. I'm sure you can easily search for it.

Thanks - this is what I have on hand - to use. looking for input on
amounts and what to use and not to.This is not going AG this is
going to be on the stove top badda bing done in less than 2 hours.

Any help is welcome :mug:

Thanks - this is what I have on hand - to use. looking for input on
amounts and what to use and not to.This is not going AG this is
going to be on the stove top badda bing done in less than 2 hours.

Any help is welcome :mug:

In order to use the oats and aromatic, some base malt must be used also. Otherwise, you won't get conversion and simply have wet starch.

I am not a fan of using aromatic malt in that quantity, and I would decrease it to .5 pound at the most. I'd also drop the corn sugar, as it's very weird to have aromatic malt (which provides an intense malt aroma and flavor) and then corn sugar (which provides no malt aroma, and thins the body and perception of maltiness). They are at cross purposes, and with such a large amount of corn sugar, I'd expect a very dry thin result that would be unpleasant to drink. The amount of corn sugar, if my very quick math is correct is over 30%. Using some, at maybe 5%, might be ok. Thirty percent of fermentables from corn sugar would not make a tasty beer.

Columbus hops are pretty harsh and "dank" and 2 ounces at 20 minutes might be more than a little overpowering. I'd probably find a new variety if I only wanted to use 20 minute additions.

In order to use the oats and aromatic, some base malt must be used also. Otherwise, you won't get conversion and simply have wet starch.

I am not a fan of using aromatic malt in that quantity, and I would decrease it to .5 pound at the most. I'd also drop the corn sugar, as it's very weird to have aromatic malt (which provides an intense malt aroma and flavor) and then corn sugar (which provides no malt aroma, and thins the body and perception of maltiness). They are at cross purposes, and with such a large amount of corn sugar, I'd expect a very dry thin result that would be unpleasant to drink. The amount of corn sugar, if my very quick math is correct is over 30%. Using some, at maybe 5%, might be ok. Thirty percent of fermentables from corn sugar would not make a tasty beer.

Columbus hops are pretty harsh and "dank" and 2 ounces at 20 minutes might be more than a little overpowering. I'd probably find a new variety if I only wanted to use 20 minute additions.

Thanks - so drop the corn sugar and go with 1/2 oz at 20 and 1/2 oz at fo
for 1 oz total would be ok ? or just a 1/2 oz at 20 ? and 1/2 lb of mini mashed grains

(there all i have to use) Thanks

Back