Tweaking my IIPA to an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
I make a IIPA that technically meets the style guidelines. It's 1.075, 87 IBU's, & 8.5% ABV, But last year when I entered into a comp the general feedback was that it didn't taste like a IIPA, but more like an IPA. So I want to tweak it a bit(I think) for this years comp.

Recipe

9 lbs 2 Row
1.5 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Caramel 60
1 lb Corn Sugar at FO

1oz Magnum @ 60
.5 oz Simcoe @ 25,15, & 5
.5 oz Amarillo @ 20,10, & FO
1 Packet S-05

Mash at 151*

I'm thinking I have three options....

1)Leave it be and just enter it as IPA
2)Drop the Corn Sugar and leave everything else the same
3)Drop the Corn Sugar,Tweak the grainbill the keep percentages the same, and tweak the Hop schedule to maintain the same BU:GU ration

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. The thing is that I really like this recipe and would love to for it to get a medal.

Or (option 4) Drop the Corn sugar and replace it with 2 Row, up the hops a touch and try it as IIPA again.

Anyhow, thanks in advance:eek::mug:

You are actually at a higher OG than the number one example of DIPA per the BJCP (Pliny the Elder). I think what you are short on is the hops, for example PtE calls for 3.5 oz of hops at flameout and 3.75 oz for dry hops. A double IPA just needs to scream hops to do well in competition. You're also a bit short on bittering hops, Magnum is so smooth that it can seem less bitter than the IBUs say (again PtE calls for 3.5 oz of Columbus @ 90 min).

You certainly could drop the corn sugar and call it an IPA (but even then I might up the hops a bit).

Latest posts

Back