Tweaking an IPA recipe... advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
This was the first version:

10.0 lbs. Rahr Pale Ale Malt
1.00 lbs. Victory Malt
1.00 lbs. Rye Malt
1.00 lbs. Flaked Rye
0.50 lbs. Flaked Wheat
0.50 lbs. C60L

1.00 oz. Yakima Magnum @ 60
1.00 oz. Falconer's Flight @ 15
2.00 oz. Falconer's Flight @ flameout
3.00 oz. Falconer's Flight (7-day dry hop)

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

I really liked how this turned out. It is very fruity, which I'm attributing to the hops and the yeast - and I don't want to change the malt base at all. I'm thinking of playing up the fruity notes from the yeast and using some hops that aren't necessarily citrus/grapefruit - but more earthy/fruity. Like this, hopefully:

1.00 oz. Yakima Magnum @ 60
1.50 oz. Palisade @ 15
1.50 oz. Palisade @ flameout
3.00 oz. Chinook (7-day dry hop)

The big wildcard here for me is Chinook - never used it in the boil or as a dry hop. I've been doing some reading and I've heard everything from piney to spicy to resiny to smoky as far as flavor characteristics for this hop.

Given the direction that I'm leaning towards (fruity, but not necessarily citrus/grapefruit) - what do my fellow HBTers think of this? Will the Chinook overpower everything else? Should I drop it to 2 oz.? Use a different hop altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and a few other tidbits of information - I did make an effort to keep the IBU's roughly the same between the two batches. That required me to use a little more Palisade @ 15.

The other option I was considering was Centennial rather than Chinook as the dry hop - but I feel like that might be wussing out since I already know I like Centennial. :)

I live Chinook! Boil, flavor, aroma or dry hop addition! It's great in IPAs. Falconer's Flight and Chinook are probably a great match. I like FF at flameout and dry hop with cascade, too!

I live Chinook! Boil, flavor, aroma or dry hop addition! It's great in IPAs. Falconer's Flight and Chinook are probably a great match. I like FF at flameout and dry hop with cascade, too!

Pay less attention to the top recipe - I am moving away from the Falconer's Flight because they're sold out @ NB and it's more convenient to get all my ingredients from one vendor.

I thought about Cascade too... another potential candidate.

I love using WLP007 in my Ipas. It ferments fast and attenuates really well and it flocks like a mother. It has everything I want in a IPA yeast and it really accentuates the fruity aromas in some American hops. I have heard this is the closest to the yeast Stone uses. I much prefer it to WLP001.

Try Northern brewer hops if you like the earthy hops. When used correctly they could add a slight mint flavor to the profile.

I just did a 90 Minute Imperial IPA, and followed the Dogfish Head instructions for continuous hopping... just sprinkled some in every 2 minutes for the full hour and a half. Time consuming, but not bad sitting on a stool next to the stove watching Netflix on the laptop.

Sam Castiglione from DFH says that's the way to go to get the best flavor profile from the hops. Curious if anyone else has ever tried it...

Mine's still in the primary and I really have nothing else to compare it with, but I like the theory behind the strategy...

Back