TV Experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspence1

Reaction score
I'm having TV anxiety. I have a 5 year old samsung DLP that I have been very happy with, two days ago the color wheel broke into 1000000 pieces. I called around and to get it fixed was going to be about $500 and most places told me it the color wheel broke I probably had other problems as well.

Long story short I went out last night and bought a sharp aquos LCD TV, To be honest I'm disappointed with it, I thought I would see an improvement in the picture but I think the old one looks better.

Should I take it back and try and fix the old one myself. Or did I just buy the wrong TV.

Out of the box most TVs are extremely bright and red shifted. If its picture doesn't satisfy you try adjusting the various settings to improve the picture. Check out AVS Forum, for other users help with your model.

Would oLED be too expensive? If you can afford it that is what you want to do. If its too much then check out a BJs or Costco if you have them around you. I have found they have by far the best prices.

I got this one at costco, they don't have any led tv's at least in canada.

ibrewit I'm actually finding the tv very dark unless I have the backlight maxed out.

I returned the LCD. I'm going to spend $160 on the replacement parts for the DLP and do the work myself and hope for the best.

I have a 3 yo 46" Sony DLP and the picture on it is better than any flat screen I have seen. So I know exactly what you are talking about. I would be trying to fix the TV too.

But, since I can't get this one again my other tv is a 42" Visio and quality for the dollar I am very happy with it. So if I had to I would replace my 46"er with another Visio.

Can't see how an LCD TV could be the best of anything, unless you're dead-set against plasma and can't afford the bigger LED screen sizes. Great TV is all about black levels (contrast ratio) and LCD will never compete.

Best TV on the market *was* Pioneer's KURO, until they got out of the market. LEDs are finally catching up to KURO, but the big screens sure are spendy...

plasmas are too fuzzy for me and they shadow for gaming

No, they don't... burn-in hasn't been a problem for years. It's an old-wives tale. And I don't know what you mean by "too fuzzy"... Plasma is still better than LCD regarding contrast (blacker blacks), although LCD backlit sets have closed the gap considerably.

Would oLED be too expensive? If you can afford it that is what you want to do. If its too much then check out a BJs or Costco if you have them around you. I have found they have by far the best prices.

IIRC, Sony is the only OLED manufacturer right now, with an 11 inch set selling for about $2500. I'm hoping the "o" there is a typo...

I still have to see a tv that is as good as my good old DLP. I'll be replacing the color wheel as soon as it comes in. For now I'm using my 22" LCD from my pc. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the picture

Another vote here for AVSforum.com - there's always a hottest, newest, but those guys do a good job of telling you what the pro's & con's are of any set you might be looking at.

and, +1 for a Plasma.

No, they don't... burn-in hasn't been a problem for years. It's an old-wives tale. And I don't know what you mean by "too fuzzy"... Plasma is still better than LCD regarding contrast (blacker blacks), although LCD backlit sets have closed the gap considerably.

To me they dont have as sharp a lines as LCDs. couple that with a glass screen that reflects everything and shadows from quick moving actions.

Yes burn in is still a problem- albeit much less but it still occurs.

For the price, energy and size LCDs are the best $ for $. Especially if you have a PS3 or Xbox

For the price, energy and size LCDs are the best $ for $. Especially if you have a PS3 or Xbox
I really don't see how you can argue that ANY LCD you can buy in the size/price range of a Panasonic plasma is a better bang for the buck. The energy consumption issue is almost totally moot now, and "burn-in" is completely dead. Some of the nice LCD sets (particularly those with LED backlighting) are starting to get into the same ballpark as plasma screens as far as contrast ratio and responsiveness... but they cost literally twice as much.

I really don't see how you can argue that ANY LCD you can buy in the size/price range of a Panasonic plasma is a better bang for the buck. The energy consumption issue is almost totally moot now, and "burn-in" is completely dead. Some of the nice LCD sets (particularly those with LED backlighting) are starting to get into the same ballpark as plasma screens as far as contrast ratio and responsiveness... but they cost literally twice as much.

+1

Plasma is still the quality / $$ sweet spot for big TVs. The new LED TVs are very nice, but nearly non-existent in 50"+ sizes and I can't imagine anything smaller (yeah, I'm a TV addict.)

To me they dont have as sharp a lines as LCDs. couple that with a glass screen that reflects everything and shadows from quick moving actions.

Yes burn in is still a problem- albeit much less but it still occurs.

I will agree with the glass screen issue-- if you have lighting issues in your room, it's best to stay away from plasma due to the glare. That's almost inescapable in some situations.

I bought my plasma because I watch a lot of hockey, and the blur of LCD is terrible (or, at least it was a year or so ago when I bought my plasma). At the time, Samsung LCDs were being slammed left and right for the "triple football" issue.

Burn-in does NOT occur. Mind the term here-- burn-in is permanent image formation; the only way that this would happen in normal usage would be for the TV to be on 24/7 with a ticker (a la ESPN or CNBC). This hasn't been a problem for years. It's an old-wives tale. There is some slight possibility of temporary image retention, but it is extremely minor and goes away quickly.

I don't understand your "sharp lines" issue; I find plasma to be as clean as LCD, and more natural-looking as well. My PS3 looks great with it as well.

And finally, I personally don't care much about energy usage; I'm looking for the best picture, and I'm willing to pay an extra buck or two a month for it.

Back