Turtle Mtn Brewery Rio Rancho, NM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmfiredawg

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone drinks there if they are in New Mexico. It is one of my favortie spots to go, however price has gone up and the food size has gone down. They have gotten pretty big, but they are nice and have great beer. The food is awesome. Been going there for nine years almost.

Just joined the site and saw this post, figured I'd respond.

I have been gong to TMB since it opened. At first the beer was great, food was good and service was excellent. You could sit down and shoot the **** with the brewer/owner and it was a very friendly place to go. Like sitting down and drinking with your friends. I loved that old place. I was out of the country for a couple of years and when I came back they had moved.
Once they moved to the new location, I tried it out and was extremely disappointed. The beer was flat, food to me was similar, but the service had gone down hill. It was no longer the homey place it used to be. The servers seemed harried and just wanted you to hurry up and order and leave a tip. Since I loved the old place so much I went back several times just to make sure and give it a fair chance. The beer only recently improved, but the service has remained the same, subpar IMO. I only go there to refill growlers now, I don't enjoy drinking there anymore. Which is too bad since I used to love it so much. I tried out the Fat Squirrel recently and found the service much better there, which is kinda puzzling since it's owned by the same people. The food there is good but not the same menu as TMB, and they have a limited TMB beer menu. I would go back there before I returned to TMB.

Saw your screen name and just wondered what agency you work for? I've been with the AFD for 15 years, so was curious if you were too.

It is not just tmbc. Chama River and Marble have gotten hit as well. I've been going to tmbc since they opened and stopped going there a year ago and recently went to The Fat Squirrel and it had the feel of the old place.

I prefer to goto Marble and Chama because I feel the beer is better and I know the brewers there better than I know Niko and his brewer at tmbc. The pizza's at tmbc are top notch and from a jersey boy that says a lot, although my brother would beg to differ.

I haven't been to Chama River in a while so I wasn't aware they had suffered as well. That's too bad. I liked their brew. Guess I'll stick to homebrewing my own, just finished an Irish stout tonight. Should be ready to bottle in a week or so. It's good to be brewing again, I'd been out of the action for a bit. I actually had to dust off my supplies. It's been too long!

I goto Chama or Marble once a week and mix in a trip to Il Vicino down on central for lunch. I've noticed the crowds down, but they have still been introducing more beers and specials. Check out Marble if you haven't already it's worth a trip downtown.

Back