turning partial mash into AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
So i am fond of all grain brewing and i have a recipe i want to do that is a partial mash. if i have to stick to PM thats fine, but how would i roughly convert this recipe to AG?

just for the grain and such:
3.5 lb Wheat DME
3.8 lb German Wheat
1.5 lb 2 Row German Pilsner

For every pound of DME, you need about 1.67 pounds of grain. Most wheat DME is actually made with 50% wheat and 50% 2-row (or 60-40 or 40-60). For your 3.5 pounds of wheat DME, you'll need 5.8 lbs of grain, split between wheat and 2-row (or pilsner malt depending on the style). Personally, I'd round up and use an additional 3 lbs of 2-row/pilsner and 3 lbs of wheat malt.

thanks! ill give it a shot!

the recipe is for Wissenstaphan Kristall Wiessbier. would that be more specific to wether i should use 2-row or pilsner malt? i assume that pilsner is right for it....

thanks! ill give it a shot!

the recipe is for Wissenstaphan Kristall Wiessbier. would that be more specific to wether i should use 2-row or pilsner malt? i assume that pilsner is right for it....

Definitely go with the pilsner malt.

BTW, I just realized that this recipe is more wheat malt than barley...you might want to consider using some rice hulls in the mash and/or a beta-glucan/protein rest (~122°F) to help with the lautering.

:mug:

jefferym09 said:
ok, what exactly do rice hulls do? Beta-glucan/protien rest?

Wheat does not have a husk, like barely does, so, when you use a high percentage of wheat (of oats, or rye), you'll basically end up with a sticky, gummy mash (think oatmeal) that is hard to extract liquid from. There is a higher danger of a stuck mash in these situations. The rice hulls essentially add some fiber material to help keep the mash from being so gummy, allowing the liquid to flow better. For the protein/beta glucan rest, hold the mash at 122F or so for 15-20 minutes. This will activate enzymes in the mash that break down the beta-glucans, which are what cause the wheat to be gummy.

I would say the 122F rest is optional, but the rice hulls are probably a necessity.

thanks for the link! so i understand the protein rest, but i mash at 154 degrees in a mash tun cooler. so to get the temperature down to 122, is it as simple as opening the lid and letting it cool off or adding cold water? or is there a better way?

You would do the lower temp first, as the enzymes will denature at the higher temp. So use less water ( thicker mash) for your initial rest, the add hot water to get to your final rest. Brewing software like beer calculus or promash can help with the quantities and temps.

oh i see, well this all helps a lot. thanks for the input. if by chance anyone comes across and AG version of this beer please send it my way!

Back