Turning part of my Dry Stout into Cherry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of a BIAB dry stout in my carboy. It's coming along well, from an OG of 1.045 to 1.012 today 6 days later and still bubbling a bit. The sample tasted really nice, pretty much a Guinness clone.

I'm wondering how to turn part of it, maybe 1 to 2 gallons, into a cherry stout at this point? I've never done a fruit beer. I'm looking for it to taste of cherry without it being overly sweet, but not tart either. I don't want the cherry to overwhelm the stout either but at the same time I want it to be more than just a hint of cherry. I have a small vessel to use, my Mr Beer "keg", that I wouldn't even quite fill. I really just want to see what it would taste like, and not ruin my entire stout batch.

I hadn't planned this when I made the beer, but when I tasted it today it struck me that it could be a dry cherry flavor and it would be yummy. I wouldn't do this to the whole batch.

Do I use cherry flavoring, cherry juice concentrate, dry cherries, fresh cherries? All of these?

I have 6 gallons of a BIAB dry stout in my carboy. It's coming along well, from an OG of 1.045 to 1.012 today 6 days later and still bubbling a bit. The sample tasted really nice, pretty much a Guinness clone.

I'm wondering how to turn part of it, maybe 1 to 2 gallons, into a cherry stout at this point? I've never done a fruit beer. I'm looking for it to taste of cherry without it being overly sweet, but not tart either. I don't want the cherry to overwhelm the stout either but at the same time I want it to be more than just a hint of cherry. I have a small vessel to use, my Mr Beer "keg", that I wouldn't even quite fill. I really just want to see what it would taste like, and not ruin my entire stout batch.

I hadn't planned this when I made the beer, but when I tasted it today it struck me that it could be a dry cherry flavor and it would be yummy. I wouldn't do this to the whole batch.

Do I use cherry flavoring, cherry juice concentrate, dry cherries, fresh cherries? All of these?

If you don't want it too tart or too sweet, I would suggest getting some cherries, putting them in a pan with some water and sugar(same amount suger/water), cooking them till they break up, sieving them and then adding them to your brew and let it ferment on the bottle. So I'm guessing cherry concentrate.

Not sure what quantities. Trial and error. I'm assuming you want a hint of cherry, not a full cherry flavor.

Back