Turned cloudy in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worrak

Reaction score
This is my first batch ever and I tried a Brewhouse pilsner kit. They have been bottle for a couple weeks now and have been sitting covered in a warm room temperature area. I put one bottle in the fridge last night so I could try it this weekend and test the carbonation. When I put it in the beer was clear with some sediment at the bottom. This morning I see that the beer turned a little cloudy. Is this normal? Will it clear up?

Thanks
:mug:

That's called chill haze.

From How to Brew:

"Rapid cooling also forms the Cold Break. This is composed of another group of proteins that need to be thermally shocked into precipitating out of the wort. Slow cooling will not affect them. Cold break, or rather the lack of it, is the cause of Chill Haze. When a beer is chilled for drinking, these proteins partially precipitate forming a haze. As the beer warms up, the proteins re-dissolve. Only by rapid chilling from near-boiling to room temperature will the Cold Break proteins permanently precipitate and not cause Chill Haze. Chill haze is usually regarded as a cosmetic problem. "

I noticed that after it's been in the fridge for a few days, chill haze will often decrease significantly or even disappear. It's not a real problem anyway, doesn't affect the taste of the beer that I can tell.

Back