Turn off CO2 tank when not dispensing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroHomebrewer

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if my beer will go flat if I turn off the CO2 tank that is connected to it? Let's say if I dispense 1/3 of my keg and then I want to take the keg with me to a camping, is it going to remain carbonated if it's not connected to CO2 tank for a few days.

I believe it's gonna be fine because the CO2 used for dispensing will fill the headspace, but I wanted to hear your opinions and experiences.

Thank you :)

In your example, you will be fine. In fact, that is probably preferable. Driving your keg around will tend to agitate the beer, if only a little, which might cause it to absorb more CO2. That said, if you are going to be not dispensing beer for a more extended period of time -- say if you go away for a week -- I would leave the keg connected.

Hi!

I was wondering if my beer will go flat if I turn off the CO2 tank that is connected to it? Let's say if I dispense 1/3 of my keg and then I want to take the keg with me to a camping, is it going to remain carbonated if it's not connected to CO2 tank for a few days.

I believe it's gonna be fine because the CO2 used for dispensing will fill the headspace, but I wanted to hear your opinions and experiences.

I think it will go flat. You need constant pressure in the headspace, if you try to serve without a co2 line hooked up the beer will go flat. If you don't serve it during the time it's not hooked up, it should be fine as long as there isn't a slow leak.

I think it will go flat. You need constant pressure in the headspace, if you try to serve without a co2 line hooked up the beer will go flat. If you don't serve it during the time it's not hooked up, it should be fine as long as there isn't a slow leak.

I am not planning to serve it without CO2. I am just thinking if I can remove it from regular CO2 tank, then disconnect the keg, take the keg with me and then dispense it in few days (with CO2 charger and cartridges).

It will be fine as long as the keg doesn't leak at all. You're going to want to keep it cold to maintain the CO2 in solution and avoid mass venting/foaming if tapped warm. If you're dispensing with a charger that doesn't have a regulator it may impact your carbonation levels over the days one way or the other.

Hi!

I just realized I misread part of your original post and didn't see that your beer was going to be disconnected from the CO2 for a few days. The problem here is that while you are dispensing your beer while on your camping trip, you are going to create negative pressure -- beer coming out with nothing to fill the vacated space. Worst case scenario: you could actually collapse your keg. This is unlikely, but you may find that you'll get to a point where you don't have sufficient pressure to dispense more beer.

Either take your CO2 tank with you or get one of these along with some CO2 cartridges.

Also, how are you going to keep your beer cold?

Perhaps consider instead filling some bottles or growlers.

Cheers and happy camping!

I just realized I misread part of your original post and didn't see that your beer was going to be disconnected from the CO2 for a few days. The problem here is that while you are dispensing your beer while on your camping trip, you are going to create negative pressure -- beer coming out with nothing to fill the vacated space. Worst case scenario: you could actually collapse your keg. This is unlikely, but you may find that you'll get to a point where you don't have sufficient pressure to dispense more beer.

Either take your CO2 tank with you or get one of these along with some CO2 cartridges.

Also, how are you going to keep your beer cold?

Perhaps consider instead filling some bottles or growlers.

Cheers and happy camping!

The keg will not collapse as you dispense beer. When the pressure is too low to push beer, it will simply stop flowing. It is not going to flow out and then create a vacuum.

Thought the CO2 cartridges will help with dispensing.

Back