Turn my mash tun into a fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argyll Gargoyle

Reaction score
Will a standard size 6 gallon bucket fit inside a 10G Igloo cooler?

I’m looking for a cheap and low-clutter temp controlled DIY fermenter solution. As I see it, you need some good insulation to minimize how much cooling power you need. And it better be air tight if you don’t like condensation/mold issues. An Igloo cooler might do the trick if it fits — anybody want to do a fit check for me?

One of those "Yes-No-Maybe" answers.

Yes, the plastic bucket fits into a 10G Igloo cooler.

Maybe, it work work.

No, it will not as there is no room for an airlock or venting the fermentation gasses.

Bucket and Igloo Cooler.jpg

IMO, no.

Thanks for checking it — is that a 6 gal bucket? How much room between the top of the bucket and the igloo lid?
I wonder if a blowoff tube could be routed out the spigot on the bottom?

Hmm - a pretty snug fit then, huh?
I had hoped to run a coil of tubing between the bucket and the igloo to pump cold water through. No luck on that concept? Room for 1/4” tubing even?

Hmm - a pretty snug fit then, huh?
I had hoped to run a coil of tubing between the bucket and the igloo to pump cold water through. No luck on that concept? Room for 1/4” tubing even?

It's very tight. Perhaps, but how good would heating/cooling transfer to with 1/4" between copper and plastic?

Not great, admittedly.. I was hoping the thicker cooler insulation would reduce the cooling need (compared with the usual reflectex wrap) I could use poly tubing so as to allow the tubing to be squished a bit
Or maybe fill the gap between bucket & igloo with water - a bit more of a mess

There is another recent thread that is talking about using a bucket of glycol in a freezer, then piping that through a cooling coil in the fermenter. That idea is attractive to me because I have a suitable freezer but it is also used for food. I couldn’t put my fermenter inside but I could fit a small glycol reservoir. Then I just need an insulated fermenter, which is the inspiration for this question

There is another recent thread that is talking about using a bucket of glycol in a freezer, then piping that through a cooling coil in the fermenter. That idea is attractive to me because I have a suitable freezer but it is also used for food. I couldn’t put my fermenter inside but I could fit a small glycol reservoir. Then I just need an insulated fermenter, which is the inspiration for this question
You could build your own little chamber with thick styrofoam, maybe even face it with some kind of paneling if appearance matters.

Yea, I’ve been thinking of that option but I’m worried that it will be tough to keep condensation out if I use a cooling coil on the exterior of my fermenter. I could use a coil / loop that went inside the fermenter, which shouldn’t have condensation issues. But that’s more to clean and worry about leaks/infection/etc

Yea, I’ve been thinking of that option but I’m worried that it will be tough to keep condensation out if I use a cooling coil on the exterior of my fermenter. I could use a coil / loop that went inside the fermenter, which shouldn’t have condensation issues. But that’s more to clean and worry about leaks/infection/etc
Have heard people swear by a product called Damp-Rid to fight condensation in closed spaces. You might look it up.

Back