Turkish Peppercorn Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirs18

Reaction score
I've been reading HBT forums for quite some time and recently joined. A friend of mine brought back some red and green peppercorns from a spice market in Turkey and I am looking to incorporate them into a witbier. I am thinking:
5.5 lbs belgian pils
5 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs flaked oats
any specialty malts i should add?

used 1.25 oz hallertauer at 60 mins last time i made a similar recipe. do you agree or have other hop recommendations for the style?

Wyeast 3944

Previously I used coriander and orange peel. Since I am looking to use the two peppercorns shall I skip any other spices or use the orange peel still. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I am getting married in May and might use this recipe for our beer wedding favors!

Sounds great to me, although unmalted wheat would be more traditional. Happy brewing, and welcome!

Grain bill looks good. There are several different ways to go with the wheat (malted, raw, flaked, torrified), flaked is pretty common and should work well. I wouldn't add any specialty malt as you want this to stay very light in color and taste. You want the pils and wheat to carry it. You hops look fine as well, no need for late additions.

The spices are your call. The peppercorn sounds really interesting, you might want to let it stand on its own this time just to get a feel for the contribution. Then you can add other spices on top next time. If your using this as gifts, you might add the sweet orange peel (the bitter orange is nasty stuff IMO), as people expect a little citrus component. If it's more of an experiment go peppercorns on their own.

Ramp the 3944 from 68 to 72-74 if possible. Great flavors in the low 70s.

Back