turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpr3244

Reaction score
I have a turkey fryer with a 30 quart aluminum pot with lid that's only been used 3 or 4 times. Will this work for a brew kettle? In researching some of the kits it seems like the kettle is one of the more expensive items and if this would work it would obviously save me some money. Any special cleaning that would have to be done to the turkey fryer prior to using it to make it work?

That's what a lot of us use..it's a little tight but if you use fermcap foam control you can nearly fill it and boil it down to your 5 gallons..

Has the kettle been used to fry turkeys? If so I dunno how to get all the surface oil off the pot so it didnt affect your beer. Perhaps several boils...maybe using some sort of food grade grease eating agent like the orange degreaser that can leach thefat from your skin...that might work and not affect the metal...

If it's never been used, you just boil water in it to build up an oxide coat...

Yes it will work. I used a 30qt turkey fryer for my first 30 batches or so. (With no foam control, it occasionally got scary.)

Assuming it was used for frying, you will need to clean it well, really well. Dish soap, hot water, and a sponge will cut most of the oil. A wash in some PBW will help get the oil out of places you can't reach with the sponge.

When you boil the water to develop the passive oxide layer, you should make sure you do not see a rainbow or any signs of oil. You will then be ready to brew.

Good luck.

Beer...PBW is safe to use with aluminum...I thought it was similar to oxyclean which isn't good to use on it...

It is safe on aluminum. This is one of the advantages PBW has over Oxiclean and one of the instances where I will go for the PBW over the Oxiclean.

EDIT: Did some reading to clarify the above....PBW has sodium metasilicate which stabilizes the percarbonate cleaners.

I use a 30 qt aluminum turkey fryer myself. It was used to cook turkeys, but there wasn't any residue on the inside, just the outside, and I guess that doesn't bother me.

watch the boil overs when adding hops

That's why I highly recommend fermcap foamcontrol drops...no boilovers no matter what...I have filled both my turkey fryer and my 5 gallon stovetop pot to about 3/4 inch from the brim, and had no problems..I've even been able to go take a nap for part of the boil...

I use a 30 qt fryer kettle and use the fermcap foam control drops. It is much better than without. You still need to be vigilant if you fill it within a couple inches of the top. Without the drops you need to watch it like a hawk, especially before the hot break develops and when you add the first hop addition.

I plan on upgrading to a bigger kettle soon so I can brew 10 gallon batches, but the price was right when I began brewing.

thats great i got an old pot in my shed that was used for frying turkeys but i didnt think I could use it cause it had oil in it. Stupid question does it matter if I boil with the lid on or off?

Im very pleased with my 30some qt turkey fryer. I insulted the outside so I can acheive/maintain my boils easier. It does the trick for me. Maybe I need to get some of those drops. (Beats a spray bottle)
-Me

thats great i got an old pot in my shed that was used for frying turkeys but i didnt think I could use it cause it had oil in it. Stupid question does it matter if I boil with the lid on or off?

it does matter - you need the lid off since a major part of boiling is driving off DMS.

Im very pleased with my 30some qt turkey fryer. I insulted the outside so I can acheive/maintain my boils easier. It does the trick for me. Maybe I need to get some of those drops. (Beats a spray bottle)
-Me

What materials did you use to insulate the pot? Just got my fryer set up for christmas :ban:

i just read another thread that said boiling with the lid offwas a must for ag mine was extract does that make a differance. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread

-Me

Did you reference its mother while insulting it, or question the quality/purity of its composition? Do you suppose the boils are achived quicker because your turkey fryer is pissed at you?

I'm gonna go call my pot a chicken-f@cker!! Just when I thought I was understanding the subtleties of homebrewing....:D

i just read another thread that said boiling with the lid offwas a must for ag mine was extract does that make a differance. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread

DMS can be an issue for both AG and extract. I wouldn't say your batch is ruined, but it probably won't be as good as it could have been. Definitely still bottle it and give it an extra week or two before you sample one.

What materials did you use to insulate the pot? Just got my fryer set up for christmas :ban:

LOL If you read correctly (as was pointed out earlier) I INSULTED the pot :tank:

I used the heating and cooling duct insulation from Lowes. (Cant find a link) But its basically the stuff that comes on a roll. Its a (sticky) roll of foam covered with aluminum foil. Make sure that you get some of the aluminum sticky tape to do the edges as well. (I didnt, but I plan to go and get some to make the edges stay a bit better)

Wrap your fryer with that but be sure leave at least 1-1.5" from the bottom of the pot uninsulated. That stuff stinks when it burns.

Guess I should get some pics up eh?
Insulated fryer FTW!
-Me

lol i saw PBW and for some reason thought Pabst Blue Wibbon Sorry my minds not up to speed yet this morning

I used the heating and cooling duct insulation from Lowes. (Cant find a link) But its basically the stuff that comes on a roll. Its a (sticky) roll of foam covered with aluminum foil. Make sure that you get some of the aluminum sticky tape to do the edges as well. (I didnt, but I plan to go and get some to make the edges stay a bit better)

Insulation did cut 10 minutes off the 50 deg-to-boil time. Every little bit helps...

beer39.jpg

If it's never been used, you just boil water in it to build up an oxide coat...

I bought a new setup they had on clearance at HomeDepot last weekend and proceeded to brew my first batch. I did not "build up an oxide coat" I just boiled my water and proceeded to brew. Will I be ok?

I bought a stainless steel turkey fryer at Sports Authority last week for $30 in case anyone prefers SS. Everything else was the same as the Aluminum one.

Anyone used one of these

I saw it my Lowes yesterday. 35 quart, with a spigot, but only 50,000 BTU. Is this enough?

That will do you wonders - (just insulate it for better results)

And the fact that it has a spigot on it...
Im jealous
-Me

Anyone used one of these

I saw it my Lowes yesterday. 35 quart, with a spigot, but only 50,000 BTU. Is this enough?

EDIT - found an old thread.

Just remember that if you ever need to replace the pot, it'll be tough to find one that fits. But with 35 quarts, that's pretty unlikely, I think...

That's why I highly recommend fermcap foamcontrol drops...no boilovers no matter what...I have filled both my turkey fryer and my 5 gallon stovetop pot to about 3/4 inch from the brim, and had no problems..I've even been able to go take a nap for part of the boil...

revvy, your the man. sleeping while brewing, i can't even imaging. about to to do second bacth with crossed fingers and some type of foam control.

This may be a stupid question, but now that I know that I can use my turkey fryer pot, which should save me money, is it ok to use the burner to bring the water to a boil, or will being outdoors while brewing cause a problem? It would seem to me that it would be tough to ensure nothing gets in the water if I'm outdoors, but I saw a pic sitting on the burner stand and somebody mentioning the burner BTU's so that got me thinking. Thanks.

This may be a stupid question, but now that I know that I can use my turkey fryer pot, which should save me money, is it ok to use the burner to bring the water to a boil, or will being outdoors while brewing cause a problem? It would seem to me that it would be tough to ensure nothing gets in the water if I'm outdoors, but I saw a pic sitting on the burner stand and somebody mentioning the burner BTU's so that got me thinking. Thanks.
I once wondered the same thing, but many people brew outside. I wouldn't put my brew pot under a big tree dropping leaves and bugs, but dust isn't that big a deal.

If you have an exceptionally dirty outside then maybe get one of the splash screens that you put over an oil fry pan to keep the big stuff out.

Thanks Revvy, I tired this on Tuesday night. I was boiling on the stove within about an inch of the brim and no problem. I actually got some other stuff done while the wort was boiling.

Just remember that if you ever need to replace the pot, it'll be tough to find one that fits. But with 35 quarts, that's pretty unlikely, I think...

According to a few posters those safety bars can be easily removed so you can use any pot.

I just went to Lowes to purchase that exact fryer because it is supposed to be clearanced. It was only $5 off.

I just went to the Lowes near my office and they had the Saf-t fryer for $50. It was the floor model (assembled) and the knob to control the heat was missing. The guy offered it to me for $35 to I jumped on the deal. I can use pliers for now and find a knob.

Thanks for the tip on Lowes.

Back