Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

roryspa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
Warwick, RI
Anyone ever use a turkey fryer for brewing. My wife is great with me brewing very supportive, but she hates how the kitchen smells for a while afterwards. I am thinking of searching craig's list for a turkey fryer to brew in garage. I am wondering how this idea works!
 

Cheesefood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
6,740
Reaction score
53
Location
Poo-Poo Land
roryspa said:
Anyone ever use a turkey fryer for brewing. My wife is great with me brewing very supportive, but she hates how the kitchen smells for a while afterwards. I am thinking of searching craig's list for a turkey fryer to brew in garage. I am wondering how this idea works!
Plenty of people use them and think they work just fine. I did my first all-grain batch with one and it worked great.

See if you can still find the 44qt stainless steel setup at Costco for $80. Best deal in town.
 

Fiery Sword

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
907
Reaction score
4
Location
Revere, MA
Turkey fryers kick butt.

Just say it with us, class, "We don't use the turkey fryer inside the house." Gooooood kids. :)
 

Paperface

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
71
Reaction score
2
Location
NC
i got my turkey fryer with all the accessories (and 30qt pot) for $20 on craigslist! huzzah!
 

Kayos

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
1,364
Reaction score
8
Location
Santa Clarita
30qt on ebay BIN for $42 with shipping, thermometer, pot and burner. Check around...cheap and perfect for full boils. Just be sure to boil water in it and throuw out to get the oxy coating. Alum chunks in beer = bad.
 

Bruscar

Eat, drink, repeat
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
365
Reaction score
0
Location
Covina, CA
Just got a mondo huge burner from homebrewheaven.com. Still didn't wanna scrimp on the pot though. Had and got rid of one of those cheapy aluminum tamale pots you can find at mexican markets. Discolored after the first use. :eek:
 

bearsbrew

Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Is there any problem with using the aluminum pots that come with the fryer?
 

jezter6

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
4,287
Reaction score
15
Location
DARLINGTON
Cheesefood said:
Plenty of people use them and think they work just fine. I did my first all-grain batch with one and it worked great.

See if you can still find the 44qt stainless steel setup at Costco for $80. Best deal in town.
We got that same setup at COSTCO last week for $40. Look for em! I didn't see them here in Maryland, but my roommate picked one up on a whim in PA.
 

FlyGuy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
3,604
Reaction score
227
Location
Calgary, Alberta
jezter6 said:
We got that same setup at COSTCO last week for $40. Look for em! I didn't see them here in Maryland, but my roommate picked one up on a whim in PA.
Man, that's cheap. I just saw them today at a Costco in Calgary, and they were $129 CDN. I am envious!
 

EvilTOJ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
6,394
Reaction score
68
Location
Portland, OR
If you use it in the garage, be sure to use it close to the fully open door! Otherwise you'll kill yourself with CO poisoning. Burning propane indoors builds up the carbon monoxide like you wouldn't believe.
 
Top