Turkey Fryer BTU's for 5-Gallon Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillbag

Reaction score
Looking around at turkey fryer burners to take my brewing process out on the patio... And to hopefully speed up bringing things to temperature!

What is a recommended BTU fryer for 5 gallon batchs?

I did a search as I'm sure this has been asked before, but couldn't find the answer...

Thanks!

I just got Bayou Classic SQ14 this week and did a 5 gallon boil in a keggle. I had to turn the gas way down when it came to the boil. It handled it very easily. I had heard on here that it will do ten gallons easily too, and I have no doubts it will. It comes with a nice big surface for holding the pot. I thoroughly recommend it.

Having said that, I have only brewed one 5 gall batch thus far. Others will probably tell you the same about this model though. :)

You lost that much volume to evaporation and trub absorption? How long was your boil?
Not unheard of. Last weekend I boil 9 gallons down to 6 going into the carboy with a SQ14 in a 90 minute boil. I do whirlpool and leave a good half gallon of break and hop slurry in the bottom of the kettle after draining.

Not unheard of. Last weekend I boil 9 gallons down to 6 going into the carboy with a SQ14 in a 90 minute boil. I do whirlpool and leave a good half gallon of break and hop slurry in the bottom of the kettle after draining.

That's pretty much how I do it. I try to leave all my break in the BK and I easily boil off 2 gallons in 60 minutes. So with .5 gallon for break and .5 for racking loss that leaves me with about 6 gallons. Pretty close to my 5.75 target.

Mike

I have a side by side burner that I use to do 2 seperate brews at once. All of my equipment is doubled, 2 cooler mash tuns, 2 hlts, 2 kettles. The burners are 54k and I have to really keep an eye on them to make sure they don't boil over. Pics of the whole setup soon, but here are the burners
4108V3BW9SL._AA400_.jpg

So, How long does it take to get to a boil with your different size BTU burners you guys are talking about?

Back