Turkey Fryer BTU's for 5-Gallon Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dillbag

Reaction score
Looking around at turkey fryer burners to take my brewing process out on the patio... And to hopefully speed up bringing things to temperature!

What is a recommended BTU fryer for 5 gallon batchs?

I did a search as I'm sure this has been asked before, but couldn't find the answer...

Thanks!

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I just got Bayou Classic SQ14 this week and did a 5 gallon boil in a keggle. I had to turn the gas way down when it came to the boil. It handled it very easily. I had heard on here that it will do ten gallons easily too, and I have no doubts it will. It comes with a nice big surface for holding the pot. I thoroughly recommend it.

Having said that, I have only brewed one 5 gall batch thus far. Others will probably tell you the same about this model though. :)

blk94f150

Reaction score
I just did a 5.75 batch with about 9 gallons to boil and my 55K burner did just fine.

Mike

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You lost that much volume to evaporation and trub absorption? How long was your boil?
Not unheard of. Last weekend I boil 9 gallons down to 6 going into the carboy with a SQ14 in a 90 minute boil. I do whirlpool and leave a good half gallon of break and hop slurry in the bottom of the kettle after draining.

blk94f150

Reaction score
Not unheard of. Last weekend I boil 9 gallons down to 6 going into the carboy with a SQ14 in a 90 minute boil. I do whirlpool and leave a good half gallon of break and hop slurry in the bottom of the kettle after draining.
That's pretty much how I do it. I try to leave all my break in the BK and I easily boil off 2 gallons in 60 minutes. So with .5 gallon for break and .5 for racking loss that leaves me with about 6 gallons. Pretty close to my 5.75 target.

Mike

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
I have a side by side burner that I use to do 2 seperate brews at once. All of my equipment is doubled, 2 cooler mash tuns, 2 hlts, 2 kettles. The burners are 54k and I have to really keep an eye on them to make sure they don't boil over. Pics of the whole setup soon, but here are the burners

tonymaud

Reaction score
So, How long does it take to get to a boil with your different size BTU burners you guys are talking about?