Turkey Fryer and propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugger

Reaction score
Question about winter time brewing as we approach the colder months. Would it be safe for me to brew in my basement with a turkey fryer and a propane burner if I opened the window? Just curious because I am afraid of taking a long long time to come to a boil.

not safe at all.

wrap some layers of crinkly aluminum foil around you kettle to give it a bit of an air insulation layer.

I think there was a thread here a couple years ago about a guy and his friend getting CO poisoning just from closing the garage door part way. Don't mess around with that.

Come on guys...there is nothing wrong with it if you are safe!!! I have a friend that has been seriously brewing for 4+ years now and brews in his basement. He sits his burner under the window, a window open on the other side of the basement a fan blowing in between. You just need enough ventilation for the fumes and you are fine. I've been at his place when brewing a few times and didnt see any problems.

Now, I dont have the ventilation (key!) in my basement so I brew in my garage all year with no problems...just use your head!

People can argue about the safety all day (and probably will).....

But, if you do, please put a CO monitor near by, have a fire extinguisher near, and brew with a friend or make sure someone checks on you regularly.

Without dedicated air inflow and forced exhaust, like you would find in a gas furnace, it's a dangerous proposition.

Also, a turkey fryer isn't UL listed to be used in the home. If something catches fire for any reason your homeowners/renters insurance would most likely not cover the damages.

That being said, I use a dual burner camp stove in the garage while brewing in the winter.

People can argue about the safety all day (and probably will).....

But, if you do, please put a CO monitor near by, have a fire extinguisher near, and brew with a friend or make sure someone checks on you regularly.

This is the best advice yet!!

There's a guy on youtube that brews in his basement, but he took the door that led to the stairs and rigged up, iirc, 2 box fans on it to draw the fumes up and out. And also had his windows open downstairs and had a co2 monitor right near where he brewed, along with a fire extinguisher.

Although it IS dangerous (especially if you just open window and call it good,)but so "technically" is brewing in our garages with the door pulled partially down. If you take a lot of planning and take serious steps to properly ventilate the deadly fumes, and monitor the carbon monoxide levels during the brew session, you could do it...

But if you just think opening a window is enough without some way to measure it and protect you, then no.

#1, you are going to have a crap ton of condensation in your basement from the boil.

#2, CO aside, it is dangerous to have that burner INSIDE a structure, especially your home

#3, CO is dangerous, if you do this for some reason, have a CO detector AND A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY!

Back