TurboTax vs TaxCut ? ? ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used TaxCut or TurboTax. I've been using TaxAct for a couple years, based on a review similar to this one:

http://tax-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I have no real complaints...a couple years back they didn't have all of the states available for online returns, which was a minor inconvenience, but I think they do now.

Like I said, I can't compare it to the others, but looking at that review page it, the tax features seem comparable to the others, without some of the "extras" I don't care about. And it's cheaper.

I've been using tax cut over five years. One year when I was out of work, started to day trade, couldn't have done the taxes without it, over a hundred pages, it let me import all the info from ameritrade. Crap, it's that time of year again. I think they are all comparable though , it's a matter of what you get started in and get comfortable using.

I always use TurboTax. It's a cinch, it's fast, and it does everything for me.

Either or works fine. Just stick with one as you can import your information rather seamlessly from year to year. It is well worth the money imho. I use TurboTax.

I've used both, and usually buy the cheaper one (they only differ by a few bucks year to year). Although the last couple of years they have been priced the same.
I usually buy tax software from Staples or Office Max and get internet security suite (AV, firewall, spam,etc) for free after rebate.

I've been using an online service, CompleteTax, for three or four years. Easy interface, asks all the right question. $30 - $40 a year, I think (including all the filing fees). They've got all of my data (which they use to help me complete next years' return), so I'll probably stick with them in the future.

I'm sure the choice of package depends in part on the complexity of your return. I've got a mortgage, some childcare expenses, some tuition deductions for the wife, but nothing out of the ordinary (most investments are in qualified accounts, for example).

I would second TaxAct. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now and love it. I won't use any of the online services for various reasons, so I like that TaxAct doesn't try to force you into that.

I have very simple tax needs, but I have been using TurboTax for the last 3- 4 years and think that it is great. I doubt I will ever use any other sofware.

I run a small business and I use TurboTax, I been using it for years. I like it. I keep using TurboTax because it loads in the past years taxes that were prepared with Turbotax.

I cann't say it's better than any other tax program , because I haven't used them.

Thanks, everyone. I was really just looking for comments and not reviews (links, I've already read them on the net ;) ) since that time will be upon us again soon enough.

I guess I can say: Beware of the Ides of April!!! ;)

Tax Cut is worthless ... they got the State of VT forms all wrong, and I saw a math error ... wound up doing by hand and got a $350 refund while Tax Cut said I owed the State. Great for Vermont, bad for me ..

I called them, and they refunded my money, but still -- computers are supposed to save us time (and maybe some money ) ..

Switched to TurboTax, and never looked back.

Everyone keeps pushing e-file, but they never talk about the fees ... when is electronic filing going to be free ??

Back