turbo yeast in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I have a package of turbo yeast, it is supposed to produce abv in the 23% range.
Would it be possible to use this in a beer. I know the initial gravity would have to be quite high, and the finish flavor may not be the best.. Also I wonder what type of beer would be best suited for this experiment?
Thoughts?

sounds like a distiller's yeast, but i'm not familiar with it, only saw another poster talking about it once. i s'pose you could brew a high gravity beer and give it a shot, the issue there would be that a high gravity beer would require more than on packet of yeast to be properly pitched.

Yea, distillers yeast are not well suited to beer. They really only go after the simplest sugars and are going to throw a ton of weird funky flavors, because most of that will be removed or left behind in the distilling process. You will just end up with a poorly attenuated, nasty tasting beer.

Thanks, I'll just stick to a super high gravity yeast then.
I have learned more from this forum then I have from anywhere else.

Back