Turbo cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig57

Reaction score
Good morning all, i am currently in the process of making my first batch of turbo cider in a DJ. The fermentation is going extremely well with the contents bubbling out through the airlock. This fermentation is now in its 5th day with a sediment starting to form on the bottom of the DJ. Can i ask the more experienced brewers here what do i do next, do i syphon the brew off into another DJ once fermentation has finished to remove the sediment, also once completed do i need to 'clear' this brew like you do with wine before bottling and adding the sugar?
Thanks in advance.
I have posted on this subject before but cant seem to find my old posts for some reason?

See Yoopers "Sticky" at the top of the forum.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/cider-for-beginners.508303/
That will answer a lot of your questions.
- I guess Im confusded by the term "Turbo Cider"
- For ciders (Using FAJC that I drive pretty quickly) I make sure my cider is done or nearly done prior to racking. I use a hydrometer and if < 1.010 then rack from the lees. (Typically takes 10 - 14 days.) Then let it "finish" in secondary for as long as it takes. The protocol, yeast and temperature I utilize allow the yeast to end right near 1.004 a few weeks after racking. Sometimes the FG is a little more sometimes a little less. (Yours may go lower.)

No you certainly don't have to clear your cider.
- I prefer to do so as I do think that cloudy cider tastes just a little different (Not bad just different) than clear cider and I just like the look of a nice clear cider.
- I use time 30-60 days (or more) and or cold crash and or a fining agent. Sometimes one or all three depending upon how quickly I want to drink it.

- I guess Im confusded by the term "Turbo Cider"
Turbo cider is a UK thing - we've seen these posts before. There's a Brit dude on youtube who shows people how to make cider from store bought juice and he calls it turbo cider. They also use a "turbo" cider yeast that's popular in the UK.

Back