turbid mash effeciency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
So, I am doing my first turbid mash lambic today. I am in the last hour of my boil and my gravity readings are indicating a 75% efficiency. From what I have read I was expecting much lower (have DME standing by in case). 75% is about what I normally get from my system.

Does this mean I did something right or wrong? I thought I jumped through all the turbid mash steps correctly from the Wild Brews book by Jeff Sparrow.

Certainly I am not worried- just curious what others have experienced. So far a lot of what I have read led me to expect I would miss my normal efficiency numbers.

FYI- my recipe was

5lb unmalted wheat
7lb belgian pils
3oz aged hops

started boil at 10.5G, got down to 5.5 after 3 hours- just added a gallon of water to boil off for another hour to hit the 4 hour boil.

Turbid mash isn't very efficient. I use raw wheat and sparge the crap out of the mash. I usually hit 1.030 pre boil and just boil untill it hits 1.050.

Back