Tubing for Keg Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
What type of tubing should I buy for use with my corny kegs and these parts

4886.jpg

Will the tubing I buy at my hardware store and use for siphoning, etc. work? Or is there a specific type of tubing for this application. Are the gas lines and liquid lines the same type? Also, what size tubing do I need for the liquid and gas fittings picture above.

I am slowly putting my system together . . .since I am not buying a kit, I am not really sure what kind of gear to buy.

I've just replaced my old 1/4 inch clear plastic beer-out tubes with new 1/4 inch clear plastic tubing from the hardware store and damned if the first pint doesn't always taste like.... well, plastic.

Anyone found a tubing that doesn't bleed off its character to the beer?

Gibran says our children come through us, not from us... given that each precious batch is so like a.... oh, nevermind.

jp

Unless tubing is labeled as food-grade, it will probably taste like plastic. Even with new food-grade tubing, I like to run some hot water through just to be certain it is clean.

Look at this stuff

The CO2 line is resistant to CO2 and will not degrade, brittle and crack as typical hose from the hardware store will. 5/16 ID is typical.

The beer line here is 3/16 ID and will not give the off flavors which have been mentioned.

Both hoses are rather thick walled to help prevent kinks in the lines.

There are many places to get this hose. The link above is just one example.

For the price, why use anything else unless you need it today :drunk:

Thanks, david. I'll start doing the hot water thing.

And thanks for the link, DNOB. I've been serving via 1/4 " tubing... Is 3/16" better/worse? I'm pretty sure I can shove the 3/16 over my barbed fittings...

jp

perry said:
Thanks, david. I'll start doing the hot water thing.

And thanks for the link, DNOB. I've been serving via 1/4 " tubing... Is 3/16" better/worse? I'm pretty sure I can shove the 3/16 over my barbed fittings...

jp

The 3/16 will work without problems, and will prevent less foaming than the 1/4 due to the resistance/loss along the line. Remember for every 2psi you keg is set at you need about 1 foot of 3/16 inch (12 psi = 6 feet) and for 1/4 inch tubing you need about 5 to 6 times as much. Give or take of course!!!

IGOR

I got vinyl tubing from HomeDepot for my kegs, rinsed them with BLC (beer line cleaner) and then hot water and they are fine. They are thin walled lines and the beer doesn't taste like plastic at all.

Back