Trying to understand Mash and OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskendall

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to brewing and a concept I am having an issue grasping is increasing the grain bill to increase gravity. Looking at recipes for example for a 5 gallon pale ale using 8.5 pounds of grain will give an OG of 1.047 but if it increased to lets say 12 pounds it becomes 1.062. So my question is, if you use the same ratio of water to grain at 1.25 how are you getting higher gravity and just not more wort for a 5 gallon batch?

so when I'm lautering I just stop at my desired gallon quantity and may not sparge as much with that much grain to have the higher gravity?

It's 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain for the mash. Sparging is a lesser quantity. There is a ratio or something. but I mash,say 5-6 pounds of grain in 2 gallons of water for my partial mashes. Then I sparge with 1.5 gallons of water to get a boil volume of 3.5 gallons in my 5 gallon ss BK/MT.
So you'd need more water for an AG batch amount's mash. Then sparge with enough to come up to desired boil volume the way I've been doing it.

Back