Trying to revive 5 year old yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Found 3 Wyeast smack packs of their Belgian Trappist yeast that I am going to try to revive. I put all three packs in a 500 ml starter and hopefully I will see some action on my stir plate within a week. All 3 packs were manufactured November 2011 and have been kept cold sine then. Anyone ever revive yeast this old before?

That's awesome. I hope it turns out!

I plan on making a starter with Wyeast 2565 with a July 2014 manufacture date for a Kölsch I'm going to brew in a couple months. If yours works, then I'm going into that one pretty confident!

Is this a quest to see if you can do it, or to save money? After the weeks of step up starters and the cost of those starters plus your time it seems like this must be a bet you have with SWMBO that you won't toss them because they're still "good".

I've done this several times. I can wort so it makes it much easier. Start small quantity and low gravity. I start at 300ml. Not sure how I got that volume. I make sure my sanitation is spot on. It takes some time for it to take off. I always start with shaking the starter. Create as much foam as I can. I'll move to the stir plate once it gets going. Usually the third step up. Good luck.

This is a "18 Mei 2010" Duvel Tripel Hopped just re-awakened (4 days on stirrer) straight from the bottle dregs to the stir plate YUM

Guess what I'm brewing this weekend

duvel_yeast.jpg

Back