Trying to make a very sweet cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallkiller

Reaction score
I was thinking of taking 5 gallons of apple juice and adding cans of concentrate and sugar until I reach a gravity high enough that the alcohol tolerence of the yeast will force them to die out leaving the gravity about 1.030 or more.... thus making it very very sweet. What do you guys think? I tried cider dry..... it just isn't popular with the common folk.

I personally like a sweet cider now and then too, but 1.030 sounds d@mn sweet...and forcing the yeasties to eat until they tap out will produce a high enough abv to no longer even be a cider. Most sweet ciders are from 1.012-1.018...my first cider was an inexperienced accident where I didn't have a hydrometer and I added way to much sugar and then pitched bread yeast which can produce high numbers anyway...it pooped out around 1.022 so I bottled. It has been sitting for 3 months and still tastes way too hot and the extra sweetness almost puts it over the edge...so just a word of caution...if I wanted something with a high abv and sweet, my numbers would be 10 percent abv with a FG of 1.015...just my opinion, good luck

I've been out of the cider craze for the last two years(into beer) and just decided to kick it up again. I have to agree with rumbler 1.030 is way to sweet. I like sweet cider also and try to come in at about 1.013. Have you thought about pastuerization?

Back