Trying to make a Buzzsaw Brown Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfriesen

Reaction score
I just emailed Deschutes and got a reply with an ingredients list for their Buzzsaw Brown. It's about as specific as any of their website recipes are. I messed around with BrewTarget, trying to put something together that follows American Brown style guidelines. Please chime in and give me some critiques as far as percentages.

Buzzsaw Brown Clone - American Brown Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 7.000 gal
Boil Size: 8.500 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.018
ABV: 5.3%%
Bitterness: 22.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 21 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row ) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Wheat Malt, Ger Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 84%% 2 L
Biscuit Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 79%% 23 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 72%% 120 L
Aromatic Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 78%% 26 L
Munich Malt Grain 1.200 lb Yes No 80%% 9 L
Total grain: 16.200 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Styrian Goldings 4.5%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 4.3
Northern Brewer 9.0%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 8.5
Golding 5.0%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 4.7
Goldings, East Kent 5.0%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 4.7

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Ringwood Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Mash for 60 minutes at 153°

Sorry for the terrible formatting, but the text exported from BrewTarget doesn't get much better. I haven't read Daniels, but I found a beer blog on brown ales that referenced his book. I tried to stay fairly close to his recommendations, within the confines of the ingredients provided. How does this look? I'm trying to learn as much as I can as far as creating recipes. IBU/GU sits at .38, so slightly malty, which seems to style. I know to be an American Brown, it should be a little more hoppy. Feel free to blow up that hop schedule. I have no idea where to go with that.

Let the comments/critiques fly! And thanks for the help!

As an aside, is there any way to fix this formatting issue? Any BrewTarget users out there solved this?

Any fans of this beer or people more knowledgeable about brown ales care to chime in? If I can't get any feedback, I'll just run the grainbill as is, and move some of the hops to a more aroma-lending schedule. I was hoping someone would be able to look at this and help me spot any glaring mistakes. I'm trying to get a close as I can, as a buddy and I are brewing this for National Homebrew Day, and he's never brewed before. He really liked this beer, and I'd like to get it as close to the original as possible on a first go.

bump again. Still looking for input from anyone who's had this beer or anyone with some experience brewing an American Brown.

I just emailed Deschutes and got a reply with an ingredients list for their Buzzsaw Brown. It's about as specific as any of their website recipes are. I messed around with BrewTarget, trying to put something together that follows American Brown style guidelines. Please chime in and give me some critiques as far as percentages.

Buzzsaw Brown Clone - American Brown Ale
Batch Size: 7.000 gal
Boil Size: 8.500 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.018
ABV: 5.3%%
Bitterness: 22.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 21 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row ) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79%% 2 L
Wheat Malt, Ger Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 84%% 2 L
Biscuit Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 79%% 23 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 72%% 120 L
Aromatic Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 78%% 26 L
Munich Malt Grain 1.200 lb Yes No 80%% 9 L
Total grain: 16.200 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Styrian Goldings 4.5%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 4.3
Northern Brewer 9.0%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 8.5
Golding 5.0%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 4.7
Goldings, East Kent 5.0%% 0.400 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 4.7

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Ringwood Ale Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Mash for 60 minutes at 153°

Sorry for the terrible formatting, but the text exported from BrewTarget doesn't get much better. I haven't read Daniels, but I found a beer blog on brown ales that referenced his book. I tried to stay fairly close to his recommendations, within the confines of the ingredients provided. How does this look? I'm trying to learn as much as I can as far as creating recipes. IBU/GU sits at .38, so slightly malty, which seems to style. I know to be an American Brown, it should be a little more hoppy. Feel free to blow up that hop schedule. I have no idea where to go with that.

Let the comments/critiques fly! And thanks for the help!

As an aside, is there any way to fix this formatting issue? Any BrewTarget users out there solved this?

I just created my first recipe using Daniels book as well as other resources. I'm definitely not an expert but I'll give you some advice based on Daniels book.

For an American brown ale, Daniels mentions Cascade as a popular bittering, flavor, aroma, and dry hop with N. Brewer second for bittering. Goldings are popular bittering for English brown ales.

Daniels doesn't mention any home brewers or commercial breweries using wheat malt but whatever. It's your beer. He didn't mention using Victory malt but I used that in my recipe. I wanted a nutty beer.

Daniels does mention using some chocolate malt or black malt. He also mentions that American brown ales tend to have a BU:GU ratio of 0.9 to 1 and highly recommends using at least two of the following: 0.75 to 1 oz flavor hop, 0.5 oz aroma ho, and a 0.75 to 0.5 oz dry hop. Use Cascade or other aroma hop for these.

Mash is spot on to what Daniels recommends.

Here's my recipe:

9lbs 2-row pale
1.5lbs Victory
1.5lbs Crystal 60
10 oz Flaked Oats
6 oz Chocolate Malt

1.5 oz Cascade at 60min
1 oz Cascade at 30 min
0.5oz Cascade at 5 min

I also used Nottingham ale yeast. Mines kind of a bastard of an English and American.

Good luck and hope this helps a little.

My malt yeast, and hop choices were based on the feedback I got from the Brewery. I have since modified my hop schedule with NB for bittering and the rest at 15 minutes, but I like the thought of dry hopping too, so I'll probably throw a couple ounces of the Goldings in there. I believe my BU:GU ratio is between .9 and 1, so I should be good on that front. I was actually hoping for some help from Daniels, as I don't own the book, so thanks for the input there.

Back