Trying to get this setup for my ranco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I saw this picture and ordered the ranco for it. When it showed up it was not wired with the surge protector so I have to do it myself.

61LIx3cxjeL.jpg

Obviously it must be possible but I don't know how to do it. I saw a link on the forums (lost it) to an outside site with really nice directions on how to wire these up. It wasn't the one to another forum but to someones personal site.

My question is...anyone by chance have that link and would it basically be the same to wire the surge protector as if I were wiring it with a extension cord?

So I got all this ready and am ready to tighten down the wires but I had a question.

In the post it says you don't use the green wire. Is that the ground wire? My power strip and extension cord are both three prong and I would like to use the ground from them. Is it possible with this setup or will I be ok not doing it?

Doesn't look as though there is a place for it inside the Ranco, ideally there would be a ground screw in there somewhere. You can just take a wire nut and connect the grounds together.

So the grounds are for sure the two green wires coming off both sets of wires?

What about the very first hole in the bottom section of plugs...or is that a 240 connection?

Hmmm, I was sure I just posted an answer just a minute ago but it's not showing up. Well here we go again...

Yes, the two green wires are ground wires, if it helps think of grass, it's green and on the ground, that may help you to remember. The "very first hole" as you put it is the ground prong on a traditional 120v plug, it's round as opposed to the hot & neutral blades on a plug/receptacle. Just wirenut the two green wires together & wire the rest of the controller as depicted in the link above and you'll be fine.

Ok...so I did what you said and wired the green up and tested it. The unit comes on but the powerstrip does not work at all. If I plug something into it it does nothing. I tried undoing the two green wires and it still does the samething.

What could I be doing wrong? The rest of the wiring is identical to what was posted so I don't know what is going on. I tested the powerstrip by itself before I cut it and it works fine. Kinda odd.

Is there something akin to a Compressor Delay on the Ranco? I know my temp controllers have one.

Not sure. How would that be causing the power strip to not work when you plug something into it?

Compressor delay will keep power from being supplied to the outlets for a specified time.

O...no idea. So your saying if I had my fridge plugged into the power strip it would only give it power when it needed to say cool down to the temp I had it set to?

That seems like a bit of a pain.

Correct, that's how the temp controllers work. The compressor delay is a feature designed to keep your fridge/freezer compressor from burning out by cycling too much. Don't know if your particular model has it, but if you plug a lamp in to the power strip and plug in the Ranco, I'd imagine that it would turn on within 10mins or so and start working. If that's not it maybe check the power switch on the strip?

Didn't know that is how it worked. So let me ask you this...why would the ranco be on at all times then and not the powerstrip too?

Guess it isn't connected to the powerstrip so that would make sense but hmm. I know the ranco does have a built in cycle deal with the way you set the temps. I will try and hook it up and see if the fridge does turn on.

The Ranco has to be on to monitor the temps, it basically has an internal "switch" that turns the power strip on/off.

The Ranco has to be on to monitor the temps, it basically has an internal "switch" that turns the power strip on/off.

Just tried it and it works. I guess I was just thinking it was wrong because I had my stereo connected to the power strip too. :cross:

Thanks again for all your help wyzazz. Btw...how do you usually set your temp delays at? I don't want to have it cycle a whole bunch but also don't want the temps to change a lot either.

Trying to find a happy medium.

No worries, glad I could help.

I think my compressor delay is at 7mins and my temp swing is at 3* for my keezer and 1* for my fermentation chamber. It all depends on what you are using it for. FWIW, neither of the compressors run that often once I'm at fermentation temps, you just need to be sure that everything is sealed/insulated well.

I'm using my fridge as a fermentation chamber but don't want it to cycle on and off all the time. You just install your temp probe hanging in the fridge or lower near the vessels?

I tape it to the outside of my fermenter and put some bubble wrap or other type of insulation over the probe taped to the fermenter as well. That will get you as close to your fermentation temp as you can be without a thermowell.

I am going to have two fermenters at once so it kind of screws me up. Any other way I can do it?

attach the probe to one of the two fermenters. If they are both the same material, the temps should be close enough.

Your ranco may not have an Anti-cycle delay. Mine doesn't. No big deal. I set my setpoint with a 2 degree difference. And the power strip only comes on when the ranco calls for cooling/heating.

Set the ambient temp a few degrees lower than you want the wort, that'll get you pretty close.

attach the probe to one of the two fermenters. If they are both the same material, the temps should be close enough.

Your ranco may not have an Anti-cycle delay. Mine doesn't. No big deal. I set my setpoint with a 2 degree difference. And the power strip only comes on when the ranco calls for cooling/heating.

Ya mine doesn't either but I read that setpoint setup is basically the same thing so it should be ok.

Set the ambient temp a few degrees lower than you want the wort, that'll get you pretty close.

I guess I will just have to play with it and see what happens.

it isn't the same thing (cycle delay vs setpoint) but short of you having a really inefficient freezer or a leak, it shouldn't run a a lot. Give it a 2 degree swing and you should be OK. Too much more and your temps may drift a bit too much.

probe, insulation and tape and you are good.

Latest posts

Back