Trying to get rid of some hops - Recipe critique/suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
So I have a small amount of leftover hops in my freezer that I am looking to get rid of. They are probably six months old and have been kept pretty well sealed in the refrigerator for all of that time, and I recently moved them to the freezer.

The hops that I have are a half ounce of 5.3%AA Willamette and a half ounce of 4.1%AA Crystal.

I was thinking of making a 1 gallon batch and combining the two hops and adding a fraction of the resulting ounce every ten minutes to try and get the most out of the hops.

The 1 gallon recipe I was thinking of was something along the lines of:

2.5 lbs Maris Otter
0.25 lbs Crystal 20
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 60 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 50 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 40 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 30 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 20 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 10 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 0 min

I also have an ounce of 2%AA Hallertau that I could use for a dry hop.... I have hardly any experience creating recipes so I have no idea if any of these hops would even go well together, I was just kind of looking to get rid of them by making a simple APA/IPA type brew using unconventional hops (aka whatever I have lying around).

Let me know what you think of this recipe or if you have a better suggestion of a way I could get rid of this little bit of left over hops!

If it was me I would move the 50-40-30 min additions to 15-10-5. All they are doing at the longer times is providing a lot of bitterness and not adding flavor or aroma.

IMO

~0.30 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 60 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 15 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 10 min
~0.15 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 5 min
~0.30 oz Willamette/Crystal @ 0 min

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will move those hops up. Do these ingredients in general seem like they would make a decent tasting beer? I still have that ounce of weak Hallertau hersbrucker lying around, would that make a decent dry hop or better to save it for another beer?

Back