Trying to figure out my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I made my first AG batch and made sure to take notes of everything so I could figure my mash efficiency and brew house efficiency. The only problem is I don't know where to start and what formulas to use to determine all this information.

I'd like to learn how to do it by hand and by just plugging it in an app. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

So I checked it out and this is what I got. The efficiency just seems way to high to me. Am I doing something wrong? Just to clarify this calculation is for the mash efficiency and not the brewing efficiency right?

Pale Malt 2 Row - US - 2.0 srm (36ppg) x 7lb + cara-pils/dextrine 2.0 srm (32ppg) x .75lb + caramel/cyrstal malt 15 srm (35ppg) x .50lb + vienna malt 3.5 srm (35ppg) x .50lb = 252+24+17.5+17.5= 311 gravity points available

Gravity points available / Collected Volume in Gallons = Maximum Original Gravity

311/7gal = 44.4 or an maximum SG of 1.044.

Measured Specific Gravity in Points / Maximum Specific Gravity in Points = Efficiency

42/44 = .95 or 95% efficiency

There's also a pretty good article in the most recent (Sept 2010) BYO titled "Calculating Gravity, Yield and Alcohol Content: Techniques". It does a pretty good job walking through the essential calculations you'll want to make. Calculating brewhouse efficiency is one of the things the author explains, fairly well I might add.

So I checked it out and this is what I got. The efficiency just seems way to high to me. Am I doing something wrong? Just to clarify this calculation is for the mash efficiency and not the brewing efficiency right?

Pale Malt 2 Row - US - 2.0 srm (36ppg) x 7lb + cara-pils/dextrine 2.0 srm (32ppg) x .75lb + caramel/cyrstal malt 15 srm (35ppg) x .50lb + vienna malt 3.5 srm (35ppg) x .50lb = 252+24+17.5+17.5= 311 gravity points available

Gravity points available / Collected Volume in Gallons = Maximum Original Gravity

311/7gal = 44.4 or an maximum SG of 1.044.

Measured Specific Gravity in Points / Maximum Specific Gravity in Points = Efficiency

42/44 = .95 or 95% efficiency

The formula looks right, but my question is, that 42, is that pre boil or post boil? If it's pre-boil, then you did it right. Maybe your 7 gallons of collected wort is wrong? 6.75 gallons makes it 46 points. 6.5 gallons makes it 48 points. 42/48 makes it 87.5% if that makes you feel better :)

Assuming your 42 was pre boil and your volume is accurate, you just happened to mash the hell out of those grains.

There's also a pretty good article in the most recent (Sept 2010) BYO titled "Calculating Gravity, Yield and Alcohol Content: Techniques". It does a pretty good job walking through the essential calculations you'll want to make. Calculating brewhouse efficiency is one of the things the author explains, fairly well I might add.

That a online publication?

The formula looks right, but my question is, that 42, is that pre boil or post boil? If it's pre-boil, then you did it right. Maybe your 7 gallons of collected wort is wrong? 6.75 gallons makes it 46 points. 6.5 gallons makes it 48 points. 42/48 makes it 87.5% if that makes you feel better :)

Assuming your 42 was pre boil and your volume is accurate, you just happened to mash the hell out of those grains.

Based off my notes I have 1.042 preboil and 1.046 post boil. That sound right?

I am pretty sure I hit 7 gallons right on the money and I calculated that amount prior to mashing and sparging. Now you got me second guessing my notes. :cross:

Based off the information above...what is the forumula to figure out my brewhouse efficiency?

That a online publication?

Based off my notes I have 1.042 preboil and 1.046 post boil. That sound right?

Only 4 points after an hour long boil doesn't seem right to me. When I used to brew inside, on my stove, it was a pretty solid 10 points my pre to post boil difference. Now that I've done my last 6 or 7 batches outside, on a stronger burner, my difference is more like 12-14 points (stronger boil off, stronger concentration, higher gravity)

Which are you more sure of, the 42 or the 46? If the 42 is right, then you got 95% like you said. If the 46 post boil is right, I'll guess that your pre-boil was 34-36 which would make your efficiency 77-82%. Either way, sounds like it turned out pretty good.

I am pretty sure I hit 7 gallons right on the money and I calculated that amount prior to mashing and sparging. Now you got me second guessing my notes. :cross:

Uh, what? You calculated that you collected 7 gallons PRIOR to mashing and sparging? The sparge water in is usually pretty darn close to the sparge water you get out. Your strike water for the mash will be significantly less out than what you put in. Off hand, if you mash with 5 gallons, you're probably only going to get 2-3 gallons of wort out (don't hold me to those numbers, but it's something like that).

So, let's say you mashed with 5 gallons of water, got 3 gallons out. Maybe you need 7 gallons of total volume, so you do your two 2 gallon sparges (or one four gallon sparge, whatever), now you've got your 7 gallons. Is that what you mean your total volume came from? Or are you talking about the total volume you used?

Based off the information above...what is the forumula to figure out my brewhouse efficiency?

I'm not really keen on the "brewhouse efficiency". To me, all that is important is what I'm getting out of my mashtun and that it is consistent. I used to worry "zomfg I didn't get 99.99% eff" or whatever. I've got my system dialed in and I get a solid 78-82% efficiency. I think most people are satisfied with 70% or better, but to me its just important to get roughly the same number each time. (Yes, Saccromeyecyessesese, I no you no sparge and are happy with the lower efficiency, because it saves you 20-40 minutes on your brew day)

Something is off. People don't get 95% efficiency. Well, maybe it's possible with a press, oversparging, and resulting astringency. Very easy to get measurements off....

Only 4 points after an hour long boil doesn't seem right to me. When I used to brew inside, on my stove, it was a pretty solid 10 points my pre to post boil difference. Now that I've done my last 6 or 7 batches outside, on a stronger burner, my difference is more like 12-14 points (stronger boil off, stronger concentration, higher gravity)

Which are you more sure of, the 42 or the 46? If the 42 is right, then you got 95% like you said. If the 46 post boil is right, I'll guess that your pre-boil was 34-36 which would make your efficiency 77-82%. Either way, sounds like it turned out pretty good.

I am more sure of the 42 but now that I think about it the wort might not have been fully cooled. I did let it sit for a while though in the hydrometer which was placed in a bowl of water. Guess it isn't a huge deal but now I know for my future brews.

Uh, what? You calculated that you collected 7 gallons PRIOR to mashing and sparging? The sparge water in is usually pretty darn close to the sparge water you get out. Your strike water for the mash will be significantly less out than what you put in. Off hand, if you mash with 5 gallons, you're probably only going to get 2-3 gallons of wort out (don't hold me to those numbers, but it's something like that).

So, let's say you mashed with 5 gallons of water, got 3 gallons out. Maybe you need 7 gallons of total volume, so you do your two 2 gallon sparges (or one four gallon sparge, whatever), now you've got your 7 gallons. Is that what you mean your total volume came from? Or are you talking about the total volume you used?

Ment to say I calculated 7 gallons of total volume to hit my 5 gallon post boil. That worked out dead on the money.

I'm not really keen on the "brewhouse efficiency". To me, all that is important is what I'm getting out of my mashtun and that it is consistent. I used to worry "zomfg I didn't get 99.99% eff" or whatever. I've got my system dialed in and I get a solid 78-82% efficiency. I think most people are satisfied with 70% or better, but to me its just important to get roughly the same number each time. (Yes, Saccromeyecyessesese, I no you no sparge and are happy with the lower efficiency, because it saves you 20-40 minutes on your brew day)

Ya, I agree I just wanted to know how this all works. I usually don't get technical with things like this but it had me curious. Knowing the procedure and how to figure it out will help me visualize things better. I will keep searching since BobbyM's All Grain Primer didn't go over the brewhouse efficiency.

Thanks again for the help.

Back