Trying to dial in my Nitro pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
I'm new to Nitro. On my second keg. In both beers, the head is thicker than in the classic Guinness pour. It has what looks like the right density and thickness at the bottom, but then on top of that is a somewhat 'looser' layer. Picture is below. It's not a big issue but would love to have it perfect.

Thinking it may be a big over carbonated, I turned the pressure down a couple/few PSI. The McDantin calculator said I should have this one at 35 psi, which is what I started at. Since then I've turned it down to 32 (maybe 4 or 5 days ago). That didn't seem to make a difference.

I use 75%N2/25%CO2

Any thoughts?

Here's the link so you can see what that calculator takes into account.

https://mcdantim.com/mcdantim-calculators/easypsig.html

IMG_20200302_180656914_2.jpg

If that's representative, imo you might be overthinking this. It looks lovely :mug:
Besides, Guinness - and "the pour" - are both overrated.

fwiw, I run 70/30 beer gas through a war club of a Micromatic stout faucet at 35 psi. Have been since forever. I love the creamy head...

Cheers!

I just dialed mine in two weeks ago. I have the same Micromatic faucet as Trippr, it's built like a tank and is bomb proof! Mine is pouring superb beers at 30 psi, but I carbed the beer in the keg (Timothy Taylor Landlord Bitter Tribute) to 1.8 volumes of C02 and then I hook up the nitro tank to serve on the stout faucet. Love the creamy head and the beautiful mouth feel you get on nitro.

John

If you're thinking the head is excessive, and assuming you carbonated the keg before putting it on beer gas, next keg cut the carbonation by a couple of tenths. I aim for ~ 1.3 volumes of CO2 (which actually requires carbonating at warmer than fridge temps).

That said, as you draw down this keg the carbonation level will probably drop a bit due to the pressure used and the 25% CO2 content. See how it develops over time...

Cheers!

Back