Trying to create my own beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
Im new to using all grain for brewing. Done allot of beer kits tho! and been brewing my own wine from scratch thant went ok.

the grains i want to use are:

Pale Malt
Pilsner malt "Heidelberg"
Vienna Malt

i want to try make a pilsner...

think i will be using saaz hopps for this one.

anyone got any idea how to tweak this?

Here is a suggestion:

50% Pilsner
50% Vienna
Maybe a little CaraPils if you want (I add at least 1/2 lb to EVERY batch I do)

1 oz. Saaz (60 mins)
1 oz. Saaz (15 mins)

Use some kind of Pils/Lager yeast and ferment at around 52 degrees for about 2 weeks. Raise the temp up to 68-72 F for 2-3 days for a diacetyl rest, then crash it down to 34-36 F and lager it for about a month (or as long as you can stand it).

If you want a little more color, you could always add a little crystal malt, but I wouldn't add very much.

Good luck!

I like to use beersmith to get into the ballpark, and then tweak it from there ... I saw it in my local brew show for 20 bucks the other day

hmm i live in Norway so gotta get in online then. since im a student, and my appartment is quite small my biggest pot i can fit in here is 2.6 gallons. if i mash in that one and top up the water in my fermenter, will that be okay?

songe said:
hmm i live in Norway so gotta get in online then. since im a student, and my appartment is quite small my biggest pot i can fit in here is 2.6 gallons. if i mash in that one and top up the water in my fermenter, will that be okay?

You can do it that way, but the hops utilization will probably be a little different. I used to do that with extract batches and they turned out fine. You could also try to get some pilsner extract and Vienna extract if you could find it. I don't know if anyone makes Vienna extract.

BeerSmith is definitely worth the money!

On a side note, I've heard that beer prices in Norway are even more ridiculous than the ones here in Australia. Good thing you are brewing your own. :)

Latest posts

Back