Trying to Create a Sam Adams Utopias Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok

I have been searching for a new beer to clone and wanted something unusual. I came across the Sam Adams Utopias Ale. This is an "ale" that is 25% ABV. It is aged for 5 years in cognac casks and they use several yeasts including champagne yeast. But it is still beer since it is made from grains and fermented.

I never sampled it which is a downfall, but a bottle is about 700 dollars. Expensive taste tasting there. But the thought of this type of brew is intriguing. The closest thing I have sampled is barley wine, but this seems to dwarf barley wine. Is this beer doable as a home brew? Maybe AG and boosting with alot of extract?

Just a thought I was toying with and want to see want my fellow homebrewers think.

Thanks

It actually has an MSRP of $150 but retail ranges between that and around $200. I have been lucky enough to have tried it a few times and it is a stunning beverage. Though honestly I have severe doubts that homebrewers could replicate the flavor without massively extensive, expensive, and time consuming trials.

It actually has an MSRP of $150 but retail ranges between that and around $200. I have been lucky enough to have tried it a few times and it is a stunning beverage. Though honestly I have severe doubts that homebrewers could replicate the flavor without massively extensive, expensive, and time consuming trials.

I have had the first one from the post above, its better than the real thing

Back