trying St. Ambroise PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd

Reaction score
I recently rediscovered my love for the St. Ambroise Pale Ale, and I've decided to clone it. Does anyone know of a good clone recipe for St. Ambroise PA? Or, failing that, can anyone suggest a good yeast to use in a clone?

I've been thinking of cloning this too. This is what I've come up with. I'm pretty inexperienced, though, so I'd wait for a few gods to critique it before you follow my advice.
Calculated for 67% efficiency and 5.5G
10lb 2-row
.75lb Crystal 80
.5lb Carapils
1.5oz Willamette at 60m
.5oz Willamette at 15m
.5oz Willamette at 3m
1272 American Ale Yeast II
For about 1.050, 40IBU, 5ish%

What do you guys think?

I have nothing of value to offer, but I'm ashamed to say I've not tried the pale ale. :eek: If it's half as good as the oatmeal stout though I'm going to have to pick up a 6er and give it a try!

bradsul said:
I have nothing of value to offer, but I'm ashamed to say I've not tried the pale ale. :eek: If it's half as good as the oatmeal stout though I'm going to have to pick up a 6er and give it a try!

It's not a life-changing religious experience like the oatmeal stout, but it's at least three quarters as good, and you can drink a lot more of them before getting full.

Kai said:
It's not a life-changing religious experience like the oatmeal stout, but it's at least three quarters as good, and you can drink a lot more of them before getting full.
I think as beers go that's a pretty good endorsement for picking up a 6er. :D I know where I'm going on my lunch tomorrow!

It's a pretty solid PA. The best example of what a Canadian can do with a PA that I've tried yet.

Judd said:
It's a pretty solid PA. The best example of what a Canadian can do with a PA that I've tried yet.
Have you tried Alley Kat Full Moon PA? Probably not available that far east -- if so, a shame. Wild Rose Industrial Pale Ale is another winner, but I know you can't get that out east.

Their is always Keith's IPA (snicker, snicker...) :D

FlyGuy said:
Have you tried Alley Kat Full Moon PA? Probably not available that far east -- if so, a shame. Wild Rose Industrial Pale Ale is another winner, but I know you can't get that out east.

Their is always Keith's IPA (snicker, snicker...) :D
I'm not sure how wide they distribute (possibly just Ontario) but Wellington Brewery's Arkell Best Bitter is awesome (even better as a real ale by beer engine at my local pub :D).

mr x said:
Check this out:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4779

It is certainly an excellent beer. One of my favs for a long time.

Thanks a lot for the recipe, Mr. X. I don't agree with it entirely, but it gives me some good ideas on how to improve the one I had.

The grain bill on that recipe makes me think I should reduce the crystal malt and add some Munich. I think that, like this, I also need to late-hop a little more aggressively. I disagree with the choice of 1056 yeast; St-Ambroise has a distinct fruity note, and I'm leaning toward 1272 to mimic that. I also would mash a little cooler than he did, say at 150 or 152, to help dry it out (as St-Ambroise seems pretty dry to me.)

So, what do you think of this:
9lb base malt
1.5lb Munich
.5lb Crystal 80
.5lb Carapils

.75oz Galena 10% at 60m
1.5oz Willamette 4.2% at 15m
.5oz Willamette 4.2% at 3m

Mash at 151˚
1272 American Ale Yeast II
For about 1.051, 41IBU, 5%

Comments. Will this be tasty? Will it remind me of St-Ambroise?

I just finished my first bottle of it and it's a pretty tasty pale ale. It has an interesting hops flavour that is definitely not just willamette/fuggles, I can't place it actually so I'm wondering if it's a mix. I would make your base malt MO if you have access to it. I think I'd mash a little higher too, maybe 154F. I was surprised how chewy it was.

Edit: Actually didn't notice the carapils, 151F is probably a good number.

In fact I just read the case and says they use 4 hops varieties, 2-row barley and wheat malt - and a European yeast. Given the fruity nature of the beer I'd be thinking about an English strain. Maybe one of the London varieties.

Latest posts

Back