Trying Something new.. need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madzell

Reaction score
I am trying to put together a Chili Beer, and I am a bit intimidated I have chosen a Rye Pale Ale recipe and am adding Clover honey to the recipe, I have chosen Green and Red Chili's to spice things up.

My question is... when to add the chili's to get a hint of spice, with out over powering the Rye Pale Ale. I want the distinct taste with out being Slammed with face melting heat.

Any suggestions.

What kind of chilis?

Rye makes a slightly spicy brew, so any chili might overpower that.

i would put chilis in secondary, but as for heat, I need to know what kind to tell you how much.

My "taste imagination" is telling me that's a bad combination of flavors. I'd really advise a more neutral beer to add chilis to.

A buddy of mine brewed up a chocolate stout with chilis. It was actually damn good, and I'm not a huge fan of chili in beers.

The best way to control chili flavor is at bottling. Soak your chilies in vodka while you're fermenting. Before you bottle, take several one ounce samples and add the chili tincture one drop at a time until you're happy. Then scale it up for bottling.

I don't know what you mean about green and red chilies. Most chilies are green when not yet ripe and red when they are. If your talking about the green chilies you get in a can I believe they are poblanos though they could be jalapeños. Neither are great for beer.

I'd recommend habeneros for most beer styles. They have a citrus background flavor rather than than a vegetal one. Cayennes are good too.

Yea I would use a beefier recipe like a porter or something more full bodied. Otherwise the peppers are just going to dominate the beer. I like ravens idea about making a potion with the peppers in some vodka. :tank:

Back