Trying not to let O2 in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shdybrady

Reaction score
When you go to hook up your syphon to put it in your bottling beer or even to add the sugar solution into your fermenting bucket, how do you keep it from getting exposed to air? Do you have to add some kind of valve on the bucket before you ferment?

The main key is to avoid excessive splashing. You don't want to dump from the primary to the bottling bucket, but letting the lid off while you siphon is fine.

Exposing the wort to oxygen before fermentation begins won't hurt your beer. When siphoning, do it gently - avoid pouring or splashing the beer.

so put the tube from the syphon on the bottom of the bucket? I read on the how to that you want it to splash some so the sugar solution will mix up some. Do you agree with that?

Do you have a spigot on your bottling bucket? Like this?

bottling_wand.jpg

(I attach my bottling wand directly to my spigot, with a one inch piece of hose and 2 plastic clamps.)

When racking onto your solution in your bottling bucket, you don't want to splash at all...what you want to do is have your hose curve around a bit on the inside of your busket, so that as the beer goes in it swirls in a circular motion, this mix the priming solution with your beer...I usually put half my solution in the bottom of the bucket, then when I've racked half of it into the bucket, I pour the rest of my sugar solution in...

oh i dont have anyhting yet. I am just reading reading and more reading. I plan on buying a kit soon and have my first batch made before my birthday in september lol. DO you have to buy a bucket with a spigot in it or do you install on?

You can buy a bottling bucket (that's pretty cheap and easy), but it's only an ale pail with a hole in it. You could just buy one- then you know you're getting a food grade container, and you also buy the proper spigot and washers and stuff. You 'll also need a bottling wand (that spring loaded hard tubing piece) for bottling.

oh i dont have anyhting yet. I am just reading reading and more reading. I plan on buying a kit soon and have my first batch made before my birthday in september lol. DO you have to buy a bucket with a spigot in it or do you install on?

You don't need a spigot, but it makes bottling easier. If you buy anything called "bottling bucket", it should come with a removable spigot (and it may not come with a lid).

dont you need a lid tho? isnt it best to have a lid? And where does the bottle wand go? Where does it connect?

You don't need a lid, but I have one that came with it. The bottling wand fits into the spigot (I use some tubing before the bottling wand, though- many of us do). You open the spigot and lock it that way. The springloaded bottling wand doesn't release any beer until it's pressed down into the bottom of a bottle. The pressure opens the valve, and the beer flows into the bottle. You'll see what I mean when you look at one.

no i know exactly what you mean. OK so how does the wort cooler lines work? The brass coils? And what is a over flow valve? I understand the concept but why do when do you use it?

so put the tube from the syphon on the bottom of the bucket? I read on the how to that you want it to splash some so the sugar solution will mix up some. Do you agree with that?

I think you've fallen into the "oh no! everything can go wrong " crowd. It's easy to do. The amount of time your beer is exposed to O2 while bottling is not enough to hurt it. You do not want to splash while transferring to your bottling bucket - you do want to make sure your "hose" is coiled in the bottom of the bucket. This will ensure that you get a good mix without aerating.

Back