Trying EdWort Haus Ale... limited hop choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I am just about to try my first AG with EdW haus ale

My hops "collection' is only made of Fuggle, Nugget and Summit.

Which one would be best suited to replace the orig. Cascade?
(was thinking Summit, originally, but may make it more like an IPA..?)

According to BrewWiki:

Summit is a recently-released high-alpha (17 to 19% AAU) hop variety. It is a dwarf variety grown on a low trellis system. Because the low trellis is not machine harvestable, these hops are gently picked by hand in the field and are, assumably, less damaged by the harvesting process. Chumulone levels are low at 25-28% of alpha. Summit is said to have strong orange and tangerine citrus notes in its flavor, making it ideal for brewing American style IPAs (especially IIPAs) and Pale Ales.

Specifications
Typical Use : Bittering
Alpha Acid : 17 to 19% AAU
Origination : USA
Characteristics : Citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit)
Styles : American Pale Ale, American IPA
Similar Hops : Cascade, Amarillo

I just ordered a pound of Summit with the hopes of getting similar traits to Cascade and Amarillo, but in much smaller quantities.

I've heard from several folks that Summit is outstanding as a dry hop addition.

Summit is most like Cascade, of the hops you have in stock. I'd go ahead and use Summit, but in much smaller quantities. Use Beersmith to calculate.

I would say if you want it like ed's than no more than 1/2 an ounce proabbaly less depending on the AA.

Summit sounds very interesting on the description..I might have to pick me some up for my next IPA:ban:

Jay

Summit has an insane amount of AA. I guess if you are only going to dry with it, but like .25oz of summit in the boil is A LOT. I've never brewed with the stuff... but it smells rough as hell.

Its like you guys have ESP or something. As I was driving to work this morning I decided to use Summit and Amarillo or maybe just Summit in my next Ed's APA.

Sounds like we've all been shoping at Freshops.com.

I love Summits and as Biermuncher said they're quite similar to Cascades, albeit 3 times the alpha acids. I used 1oz for the full boil duration in my Lupomania. The bitterness is very, very pleasant. I'd go ahead and use them instead of the Cascades, just make sure you use a scale to cut the additions back accordingly.

Back