trying a Hefeweizen extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambrozyne

Reaction score
Hi all,
For my 3rd batch, again extract, I'm getting ready to do a hefeweizen next weekend. I've got these ingredients together:
3.75 lbs Morgans Golden sheaf hopped wheat extract(LME)
3.3 lbs Morgans masterblend wheat LME
0.5 lb flaked barley(no flaked wheat available at my online hbs here in Japan)
I could get some Quaker flaked oats if it's recommended
1 oz. Hallertau pellets
Danstar munich dry yeast
Irish Moss
planning on 5 gallons.

I'm looking for suggestions to improve my recipe. I'm thinking not to use the irish moss as I like a cloudy wheat beer. I was an avid Hoegaarden drinker when I still lived in Holland. Also thinking about skipping the extra hops or reducing them to half an oz. finishing hops. The Golden sheaf wheat lme is hopped, I believe. Hefeweizens should be very lightly hopped I read. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, should I steep some flaked oats with my flaked barley? What's the advantage of doing this?

I also have available: some light dme, medium dme, brewcellar brewenhancer and dextrose. But I was really planning on using the dme on my next 2 brews. So, if not necessary I'd to keep them untouched. Will the 2 cans of wheat lme do? Should I add some brewenhancer or dextrose to help with attenuation?
Any suggestions would be very welcome as I'm still learning the ropes here. I've never had a real hefeweizen so I don't have a benchmark. I'd like to stay close to the style if possible with this recipe.
Thanks for your help as always!

Edit: forgot, I also got some crystal 15 L and some 40 or 60L in my pantry

Ditch the Irish moss and your steeping grains. I think the oats and flaked barley would need to be mashed to be much use to you anyways. Mostly what would happen is unfermentable starches would be leeched into your wort which might increase haziness (desirable in a hefe, I suppose) but also increase your FG and make the body heavier (generally undesirable in a hefe). There are instructions on this forum and elsewhere for mashing a small amount of grain if you're interested though. I'd forgo the crystal. I don't think it'd add the right type of flavor and would probably add too much color to the brew. 7 pounds of extract is plenty for this style.

Also, I'm brewing a batch right now with that yeast and fermentation was extremely vigorous the first 24 hours (would have had a lid or airlock blow off if I hadn't been watching it) so you might want to prepare a blow-off tube just in case. Don't know if I just got an unusually raucous sachet or not since it's my first time using this yeast.

1oz of Hallertau is fine. I'd just add the entire ounce at the beginning of the boil but others may have a different view on the matter.

Back