Try at cloning St. Arnolds Pumpkinator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I have know idea where to start with this as I don't brew many stouts. Well, I have never brewed a stout. So I am wanting to change this now and start trying to clone Pumpkinator and have it ready for this coming cool season. The website says they use 2-row, Caramel Malts, Black Malts, Cascade and liberty hops, Molasses, brown sugar, and spices. The give an OG of 1.094 and no FG but say it is 10% ABV. They dont give the IBU's either. So I screwed around with beersmith and came up with this. Please critique. It is a 10 Gallon batch.

Boil Size: 14.44 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.5 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type
26 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 74.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal malt - 80. 4.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 4.3 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 3.6 %
1 lbs Black Patent Malt (500 SRM) 2.9 %
32.00 oz Pumpkin (Mash 60.0 mins)
1 lbs 12.0 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) 5.0 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) 5.0 %
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min 3.4 IBUs
4.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] - Boil 45.0 min 22.4 IBUs
3.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

I have not brewed yet. I was hoping to find some pointers on it. When I didn't I actually forgot about it. I will be trying to brew it soon. Any back up on if the really add it to the boil? I thought I remember it saying somewhere that they have a terrible time with the Mash because of all the added pumpkin.

There is a video on their website that they mention how much of a pain it is to brew. The guy says that they only use their first runnings. I don't remember what he said as far as adding pumpkin. The other thing their website mentions is that Bishop's Barrel No.6 uses pumpkinator as the base beer and that has 30 IBU's listed.

I have know idea where to start with this as I don't brew many stouts. Well, I have never brewed a stout. So I am wanting to change this now and start trying to clone Pumpkinator and have it ready for this coming cool season. The website says they use 2-row, Caramel Malts, Black Malts, Cascade and liberty hops, Molasses, brown sugar, and spices. The give an OG of 1.094 and no FG but say it is 10% ABV. They dont give the IBU's either. So I screwed around with beersmith and came up with this. Please critique. It is a 10 Gallon batch.

I've got a recipe in BeerSmith that I guessed at, and we're really close. The only other thing I'd wonder about is the spices. Along with nutmeg and (?) I would think perhaps some pumpkin pie spice at flameout, and then again in secondary....

I hope to brew mine in the next week or so.

I had that thought to. I decided to starting with minimal spices would make it easier to figure out what I need to add to it. easier than trying to figure out what to take back out.

I'm not sure if this will help you at all but it may give you some ideas. For a 5 gallon batch of pumpkin ale, these are my spices and when I add them in the boil. I have no idea how SA does it though.

2.5 tsp Cinnamon @ 10 min left
1.5 tsp Nutmeg @ 10 min left
1.5 tsp Allspice @ 10 min left

Latest posts

Back