True Brew Pilsner all malt kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsonpop

Reaction score
So I just got this kit in the mail and I can't find anything about fermentation temperatures in the directions. I know a pilsner is by definition a lager so it would generally have lower ferment temps but I was wondering if this is one of those kits that's actually more of an ale with pilsner qualities and taste and can be fermented at ale temps. Came with mentor's active brewing yeast 6 grams. Anybody have any experiences with this kit?

Thanks!!!

-Jordan

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry I meant muntons active brewing yeast.

So I just got this kit in the mail and I can't find anything about fermentation temperatures in the directions. I know a pilsner is by definition a lager so it would generally have lower ferment temps but I was wondering if this is one of those kits that's actually more of an ale with pilsner qualities and taste and can be fermented at ale temps. Came with mentor's active brewing yeast 6 grams. Anybody have any experiences with this kit?

Thanks!!!

-Jordan

The kit contains ale yeast. If the package is a yellow color it is Muntons' standard yeast Use it like most other dry yeasts. Hold the fermentation temperature in the low 60° range.

All of the Truebrew kits I've seen have had that little yellow packet of Munton's yeast, which is an ale yeast. I haven't been able to find much info. about that strain, but assume that it works similar to most English type ale yeasts and likes temps in the low-mid 60s.
Of course, it's perfectly fine to replace that yeast with something else from your LHBS that you might like better. I helped a friend get started over Christmas with the Truebrew Nut Brown Ale kit, and replaced the Muntons with a packet of S-04, which I thought would give a better flavor profile.

Thanks for the help. So just to comfirm, fermentation temps vary by the type of yeast not by the ingredients in the beer? Sorry I'm a true beginner.

Fermentation temperature is for the yeast and the flavor characteristics it produces within its temperature range.

Another thing about this kit is it didn't come with any type of clarifier. Is that not really required or should I got run to my LHBS and pick some up? And is Irish moss flakes better than the tabs or vice versa?

Another thing about this kit is it didn't come with any type of clarifier. Is that not really required or should I got run to my LHBS and pick some up? And is Irish moss flakes better than the tabs or vice versa?

I'll weigh in on this one: Is a clarifier like Irish moss absolutely neccessary? No, but it is beneficial if you like your beer to be clear. I.M. coagulates and settles out the hotbreak proteins, which would settle out by themselves eventually, but IM works faster. It's added in the last 10 minutes of your boil. Whirlfloc is a tablet/brand of purified IM. Either work well, so it depends on what you can find,cost, and personal preference.
Critical? No. Helpful? Yes.

Latest posts

Back