True Brew Oktoberfest instructions question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayerextreme

Reaction score
A friend purchased a brew kit for me to brew up after I'm done racking the Russian Imperial Stout we are working on now...

its an extract kit...but while reading the instructions I noticed where it didnt have me add any of the "bittering" hops at the beginning of the boil, but to add both hop packets (1oz each) at the 45 minute mark of the boil for flavoring....

this just seems odd after all the reading I have done and videos I have watched...it always seemed like the boil timer started with the first addition of the bittering hops and any other additions worked off of that....

again the instructions say to add 2oz of hops at the 45 minute mark...can anybody confirm or correct what I am reading...

as always, opinions and suggestions are welcome

Its hard to say no knowing more about the kit. You sure thats not 45 minutes til the end of the boil? So 15 minutes after the boil starts? That would be a bittering addition.

I took a quick look at the recipe online and it seems reasonable. What is is saying that if you are doing a 60 minute boil, you would add them 15 minutes into the boil, thus boiling the hops for 45 minutes. This is essentially a bittering addition and not a flavor addition.

I must have my head up my arse.....because when I read the instructions...both the bittering and aroma hop sections say to refer to the inventory list for addition times and amounts....so, in the inventory section it lists 2oz US Liberty hop pellets (45 min) if thats correct I am thinking that I would add both 1oz packets of hops at the 45 minute mark of the boil making all the hops used as "aroma" hops and none for bittering hops...

just seems odd...here is a link to the instructions

http://bsghandcraft.com/downloads/TrueBrewInstructions/K23-Oktoberfest.pdf

The instructions do tell you to add all your hops (2 oz) at 15 min into the boil. Must be all bittering.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Generally, in beer recipes, the time you see marked next to boil additions is the amount of time you need to boil it for. In the recipe you are using, it wants you to boil those hops for 45 minutes, which would be at the very beginning of the boil since the instructions call for a 45 minute boil.

45 minutes of boiling will still isomerized the alpha acids in the hops enough to impart bitterness.

Back