True Brew Maestro series IPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephyr_brew

Reaction score
On 4/07 I brewed my first batch, the True Brew IPA kit. I followed the instructions perfectly, the O.G. was 1.060 (expected beginning gravity was supposed to be 1.050 - 1.052 but I took it when the wort was a little warm I think) Final gravity was 1.019 I think. Expected was 1.012 - 1.014.

Fermentation was 1 week. I bottled it and let it condition for 3 weeks. Tried one and it was awful. Tried another today and it's still not good.

3DoQ2.jpg

Very carbonated POP when opening the bottle. Mud water appearance. Little to no head after pour settles. Very sweet. Tastes sort of like a carbonated soda. I detect a hint of alcohol.

Is this beer just not a very good beer? Did something go wrong? What can I learn from this? Will extra bottle conditioning help?

Thanks again!

I just found this thread while answering another brewer's question about this kit. This was the first kit I ever brewed and it was the worst beer ever! It looked just like this. Barely tasted like beer. Absolutely terrible. Don't worry, not your fault. Have you brewed other kits/beers, have they turned out well?

It could be a bad kit, there are plenty of bad kits and recipes that we all end up trying.

But, one week is a little bit on the short side for fermenting. The over carbonation could be that the yeast didnt have time to fully convert the sugars during fermentation, which would lead to more yeast action in the bottle (carbonation) as well as a sweeter final beer (higher FG).

Did you take multiple FG readings? Generally, it is wise to take two to three gravity readings a day or two apart to make sure the final gravity is stable prior to bottling.

To summarize: Try a new kit, ferment for 3 weeks, take multiple gravity readings at the end to ensure the yeast is done.

I let this ferment for 3 weeks and 3 weeks in the bottle. Terrible. I agree, try a different kit from a different company.

Back