True brew kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladeguy1308

Reaction score
I recently purchased a true brew kit that includes a 7.8 gal bucket with spigot and lid along with a 6 gal carboy. My question is after I boil for 60 min and cool the wort do I transfer it to the bucket and add the water and yeast and then transfer it to the carboy? I ask because I see a lot of people use the bucket as the primary fermenter but this one has a spigot.

Put the cooled wort into the carboy to top of and pitch yeast. After fermentation is complete, transfer to the bucket for bottling. Welcome to the forum!

If it is cooled, you can pour with a funnel. It will help oxygenate it for your yeast. After fermentation though, you want to be careful not to add any more oxygen than necessary. It will hurt the flavor and shelf life of the beer. Use the siphon to go from fermenter to bottling bucket, being careful to hold the discharge line below the liquid surface and prevent splashing.

You can siphon into the carboy if you want, by the way. I always do, but then I shake it up to introduce oxygen for the yeast. That might be a challenge with a large carboy though.

Ok. Thanks for the info. One last question about sanitizing. My kit came with b brite cleanser. I’ve read some mixed opinions that it is a sanitizer and it’s not. Should I wait to brew until I get star San?

Sounds like it's a cleanser only, but not sure. Highly recommend the starsan. It's good stuff and super easy to use. If you don't want to wait until you get it, there are probably some DIY sanitizer ideas on there forum somewhere.

Back