true brew kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggy

Reaction score
my wife decided to do a nut brown ale true brew kit tonight while i was out of town.i had her read the instruction to me over the phone. the kit said to add the hops for the last two minutes of the boil. it didnt mention taking them out of the wort or putting them into a hops bag. it then said to add the wort to the ballance of water to get to five gallons. my question is, was this intentional? do they want the hops in the wort during fementation? are they assuming you know to use a hops bag and take them out before pitching yeast? i told her to leave the hops in because they only wanted the hops added in the last two minutes and i thought it would have no bittering. i would have though a kit like this would have much more detail about that stuff.

they are assuming that you know to use hop bags or to strain when transferring to your fermentor, but there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Hops added during the last 15 minutes of the boil are for finishing/aroma and there should be no adverse effect if you didn't strain.

You're fine. I never strain or use hop bags. I just dump right in. It will all settle out and you won't even know it is there.

Fourth'd?

I never strain hops going into primary. No funny flavors in my beers...they're damn good!

Back