True Brew Kit Instruction Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyth1965

Reaction score
I have a True Brue Oktoberfest ingredient kit that I'm ready to brew. I've seen all the bad comments about True Brew kits. I've brewed several Brewer's Best kits, and the instructions are better, but my first brew was a True Brew brown ale that turned out great. My questions are as follows: The kit came with Cascade and Liberty hops, and with 8oz. of whole malt. Should I crush this malt before steeping (kit doesn't say to)? The kit also specifies adding all the hops at the beginning of the boil. I plan to add one near the beginning and one near the end. Which is the better bittering hops, and which should be the flavor/aroma hops?

You can't get orange juice from a whole orange nor can you get the flavors from whole malt, you have to crush them.

Even though your comparison is not exactly correct, I agree with you. If you couldn't get anything out of the whole grain, they wouldn't put it in the kit that way, it's just not near as effective. I did attempt to crush the malt, but I don't think I was very successfull (using a rolling pin). I'm sure it will be better than the whole grain. The grain is steeping now, and I'm getting plenty of color and that sweet malt aroma. As for the hops, I'm experimenting to see if I've learned anything. I'll put the Cascade hops in at the beginning of the boil, and the Liberty at 50 minutes. We'll see how that turns out.

I'm brewing a Brown Ale True Brew kit this Friday. I'm glad to hear yours turned out good. This is my first time brewing beer...I hope mine turns out good!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If the malt came in a kit, I would assume it has been crushed already.

HopMama - Getting into brewing is exciting. I still think the first batch I brewed (the True Brew brown ale kit) was one of the best.

masskrug - That's what I thought. I've since bought a grain mill. I had quit buying kits, so I COULD get unmilled grain and grind it myself. Now, Austin Homebrew has given me a little flexibliity. You can select unmilled grain as an option when buying kits from them. Milling your own grain makes a BIG difference.

Back