True Brew American Wheat Ale Extract Kit Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrhd437

Reaction score
I am just about to start my second beer, but before I do I wanted to say a few words (write, whatever) about my first brew. I brewed a True Brew brand, American Wheat Ale extract kit.

I was surprised at how simple the kit was to make. It really is something about as simple as Mac and Cheese. This kit has 2 cans of liquid malt extract, some hops, and some caps.

When my finished beer made its debut, we were having a family BBQ. The beer was a fantastic hit! It was NOT, however, what I expected. This wheat ale was much darker then expected (think Bock) and had strong roasty tones. It went well with BBQ, but subsequent tastings were just OK.

It was quite carbonated, and not like soda-pop, more like champagne. Really liked that aspect.

So, just wanted to share that since I couldn't find many reviews of that kit online. My next is a Brewer's Best American Cream Ale - any comments welcome!!

- J

Liquid malt extract (LME) will darken with age, as well as during the boil due to the maillard reaction. A lot of people add it late to the boil prevent this. As for the roasty notes, not sure where that came from if you just had wheat extract, but maybe some LME got burnt from not stirring enough. Also, what kind of yeast did the kit come with? That will make a huge difference in the end product, and may account for your finished product being not what you expected. Glad people liked it, but when you try some more complex recipes, with steeping grains or even partial mash, I bet you'll get an ever better reaction.

I've never tried the BB Cream Ale, but that's a light ale, so you're going to want to be really careful with your fermentation temperatures (i.e. keep them at the low end of the yeast recommendations), because off flavors will come through pretty easily. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! It may very well be that it burnt, now that you say that I remembered that at that time I was using a gas stove and wasn't all that accustomed to it... certainly makes sense to me!

I will look at the yeast guidelines for temp and take your advice.

I'm not sure the name of yeast in the TB, it was loose in the package. The BB yeast is vacuum sealed

As I write this I'm standing over the Cream Ale Wort. Smells like hot grape nuts. Yum.

Beer/ Mac n cheese, both easy to make and so good! :)

GL with the cream ale. What next after that, because we all know once you start, you're addicted!

After that I'm going back to my roots and making some apple cider - this time from a kit, and supposedly it will be done in time for Thanksgiving (not sure how that's possible).

Next beer? I'm actually consider the Whitehouse's recipe for Honey Ale, which is available now from Northern Brewer... I don't like either candidate this year, but his ale looks good!

I don't know, I'm pretty new to beer and brewing in general, so I may be asking for a suggestion soon.

My wort threw up...

I have the room at roughly 60°F. The air lock has been bubbling away all night. This afternoon however, I find the air lock almost empty and water on the lid of the bucket... my last brew did not ferment with such ferocity. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the input btw, such a great forum.

Yeast are hard to predict, so it's hard to say what normal is. 69 isn't overly hot or anything, although the temp inside your fermenter is going to be a bit above that. Next time, try a blowoff tube for the first couple days of fermentation, just to save yourself a headache.

No problem. I learned a ton from these boards and am just passing on the favor. Good luck!

Back