True Brew All Malt kit - Pilsner Ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Went to the brew shop with some ideas to make a pilsner like ale, but the brew shop guy steered me towards a kit by True Brew. It has a Munton's yeast (not sure what it is), 2 lbs light DME, 3.3 lbs light LME, 2 oz of First Gold hops (half leaf/half pellet). It doesn't mention temperatures and I have no idea what the yeast actualy is. He assured me it was an ale kit and it would be fine. Also the hops and yeast were in the box on the shelf, he said no big deal that their not refrigerated and that they move product quick there. Is there need for concern? I was trying to work out a koelsh or california ale yeast with a light grain bill. He steered me away from jusing just DME and towards a cream ale recipe. Do I need to get different ingredients for anything?

Went to the brew shop with some ideas to make a pilsner like ale, but the brew shop guy steered me towards a kit by True Brew. It has a Munton's yeast (not sure what it is), 2 lbs light DME, 3.3 lbs light LME, 2 oz of First Gold hops (half leaf/half pellet). It doesn't mention temperatures and I have no idea what the yeast actualy is. He assured me it was an ale kit and it would be fine. Also the hops and yeast were in the box on the shelf, he said no big deal that their not refrigerated and that they move product quick there. Is there need for concern? I was trying to work out a koelsh or california ale yeast with a light grain bill. He steered me away from jusing just DME and towards a cream ale recipe. Do I need to get different ingredients for anything?

In my opinion, you will be fine. Brew the kit up like the directions tell you. If it is not inconvenient, I would upgrade to a different yeast, though. If you can find a packet of Nottingham yeast ($2.00 or so), you will like the finished product a bit better. Those Munton's yeast packets are ale packets, and they will work fine, though.

Relax and brew it up!! It should make a good, refreshing summertime ale as long as that Munton's attenuates enough to finish on the dry side.

cool. thanks for the reply. I'm adding a little nutrient and i'll make a note to shake the hell out of it for aeration.

Back