Trub Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernut34

Reaction score
So I've been reading a bunch of stuff lately saying that you shouldn't get trub into the fermenter. Ive always put my wort chiller in my brew kettle, cooled to the proper fermentation temp, and then dumped all but the last bit of spent hops into my primary fermenter and aerated/pitched my yeast starter. Ive used this same method for probably 100 all grain batches. I always do a 2 stage fermentation, so could I produce better beer doing it another way??

I have never noticed a difference. I try to avoid getting break and hops in the fermenter but only because I want to bottle the most beer possible from my fermentation vessel. But I have, many times, poured everything from the kettle into the bucket and noticed no difference.

Thanks I have done the same and have never noticed a difference. Since I use a 2 stage fermentation I end up racking it off anyways.

My last brew I used a hop spider for the first time. I no mess in the bottom of my brew kettle from an big IPA hop fest. I will use this again, easy to build, cheap, and pretty easy to clean.

While I keep hoping that someday I won't transfer trub to the fermenter, as it stands today, I do.

I try whirlpooling each batch and I can't get jack squat. My pickup tube is 1/2" from the bottom so that's what I leave in the kettle. Everything else goes in the fermenter.

I ferment in a carboy and so I can see that a layer of yeast builds up over the true pretty quick.

Again, it's not something I worry about but someday I'm hoping to whirlpool with a pump a la the JZ whirlpool chiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used to worry about it, but I read a few posts here, including one from Yooper who said she drains everything into the fermenter. I started doing that, and haven't noticed a bit of difference in the end product. Leave the trube in the fermenter.

I used to worry about it, but I read a few posts here, including one from Yooper who said she drains everything into the fermenter. I started doing that, and haven't noticed a bit of difference in the end product. Leave the trub in the fermenter.

Same here. I dump everything that fits. I do however, add my hops to a mesh bag so my wort has very little hop residue when I add it to the fermenter.

Trub ain't poison. It forms a nice compact layer after 3 weeks in primary and is easily separated when racking afterwards.

Back