Trub in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JoeCap09

Reaction score
I brewed a Nut Brown yesterday and my ball valve sucked up trub. I saw it happen so i sanitized a hop bag real quick and put it on the end of the tube going into the primary. It seemed to catch alot of the hop material but i think break material (maybe even some specialty grain from my steep) might have oozed through?

This was the first time I used the weldless ball valve on my kettle. I readjusted my diptube for next time. (It curves down and to the side more now) Plus I don't think I got a good whirlpool going or didn't wait long enough for it to settle because I just didn't have a good pile as I did in my last brew. Anyways, I pitched and it seems to be doing ok (airlock is going). I just don't know if I should transfer to a secondary as soon as fermentation slows or just wait it out and see if it affects the taste.

Thanks

springer

Reaction score
don't worry about it. I use a hop bag but everything else goes into the primary. I also would leave it more than a week in the primary yeast need time to clean up after themselves after fermentation stops my typical primary is 14-21 days then right to keg.

OP
JoeCap09

JoeCap09

Reaction score
thanks guys! I wasn't tooo worried but I feel better now :).

The other two beers I did I kept in primary for 14 days then too bottle. Boar Beer do you say one week because of the trub or in general?

Now that I think about it, I did skim across something that said trub was good for yeast health. Awesome. Other then that everything else came was awesome. It smelt great, OG = 1.055, and its fermenting great although my basement is colder than usual, at about 60. I'll let it be for two weeks.

I'll go drink some conway's irish ale :mug:

OP
JoeCap09

JoeCap09

Reaction score
I was just thinking what if it some hop material gets into the primary..would it affect the bitterness or IBUs of the beer?

OP
JoeCap09

JoeCap09

Reaction score
By the way this beer turned out great...It has been bottled for a little more than a week now and I tried one today and it is already good. Thanks

BrewStooge

Reaction score
I was just thinking what if it some hop material gets into the primary..would it affect the bitterness or IBUs of the beer?
From what I understand the acids are only converted when boiling so it shouldn't affect the bitterness, flavor maybe a bit but you're probably only talking a few scraps that get sucked up here I'd guess?

OP
JoeCap09

JoeCap09

Reaction score
Ha..I'm always impatient for that first one, I think just to make sure it turned out ok. But now I can wait knowing it will be better in a couple weeks.

brewstooge...That sounds like it makes sense..I don't know I gotta work on my whirlpool technique or do somethin to my diptube in my kettle either way.