Trub after the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I just got done brewing an Imperial Pale Ale and in the past I've used muslin bags and I've even used stainless steel mash balls to boil the hops in. But today I didn't use anything. So when I transferred the wort to my primary fermenter most of the trub went with it. Is this something I should be worried about. Thanks.

Nothing at all to worry about. Next time stir it up then let it sit for a few minutes. Most of the trub will then be in a cone shaped pile on the bottom of your brew pot. Then siphon it out into your carboy, avoiding the cone.

I use buckets to primary, and I don't bother siphoning the boiled wort - I just pour it in, trub and all. It all stays behind with the yeast cake when I rack to secondary anyway, and I've read that it provides some yeast nutrient. I do use a stainless steel strainer over the bucket to catch the large stuff as I'm pouring it though.

Back