tru brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris1980

Reaction score
The instructions for the tru brew kits dont say what temp to fermint at. is this temp important, if it is will it affect the taste. I have tried 2 different types red ale and nut brown ale and i didnt get a good flavor from the red ale. I just bottled the nut brown how long before they should be ready to drink?

1. Keep your fermentation temps between 66-72 degrees. Just check the specs on your yeast, it should tell you.

2. Keep those bottles at 70 degrees for 3 weeks.

:mug:

I just brewed by first Tru Brew it is currently fermenting in the primary on about day 3. Question: The Krausen is partially white foam, but half of it is a dark carlmaly looking substance is this normal? At first it was only a quarter of the Krausen, but now it is almost half.

It's perfectly fine. Just quit staring at it smelling the airlock :D
RDWHAHB.. Patience is everthing.

Temperature is one of the most important things in brew flavor. As Runyank said mid 60° is good, try to keep it there. Three weeks at 70° should get you carbonated but slightly green beer. Remember to save a few for a couple months to know what properly aged beer tastes like.

daveooph, krausen takes on many faces. Some uglier or weirder than others, almost all are normal. No one said that fermentation was pretty. :D

Alright sweet thanks guys. It's a Bav. Hefe...should I let it ferment about 3 weeks then bottle another 2?

Some beers I leave in the primary for up to 4 weeks, and some, once I get consistant readings on my hydrometer I rack to secondary or bottle. Usually I will either leave in primary for three weeks then bottle, or primary for two weeks, rack to secondary for a week, then bottle. I always leave my beer in the bottles for at least 3 weeks prior to trying. As Nurmey said, make sure and save some back, you will thank yourself later. I plan (and have been) on keeping 3 of each batch in the back of my closet, and on Christmas day pop those babies open.

Yep that sounds like a normal kraeusen to me.

I did two Tru-Brew kits when I first got started and they were both pretty awesome. Good luck!

-Joe

Back